AI Not building, sleeping or generally misbehaving?

Report bugs here! Please use the template when posting. For help running the game, please use the tech support forum.
Ruairí

AI Not building, sleeping or generally misbehaving?

Post by Ruairí » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:09 pm

Due to numerous reports of the AI having a few issues of late, we are creating this thread to help track and locate the causes leading up to issues such as:

1. AI stops building player placed objects.
2. AI does not replenish needs leading to death. (Sleep/Food/Drink)
3. AI stops full stop.
4. Other oddities from Colonists and the IMP (animals are not yet fully coded and chickens are known as natural death-seekers for wandering out airlocks)

Information that we are looking for that would help the most would be,
What you placed down for construction, both prior and after when the issue effected you.
If all colonist needs are met (beds/enough food and water/Air in all rooms)
Information Status of the workbench being used and how many benches you have built.
Current IMP tasks.

Also a few notes and collected information before posting to be aware of,
AI can be effected by changes to its pathfinding, so in extreme cases, when the IMP is digging it could cause AI misbehavior as stated above.
Use of the "U" key to instant build objects does effect AI and can cause them to reset, also in some cases it causes them to stop altogether. So please avoid use of this as it is really only for Asset tests.

We are thankful for any help our community can give and wish good luck with your colonies!

EDIT: With 0.44 we cracked down on this issue more and have some advice on mitigating AI misbehaving as a temp "fix". Perform a hard load on the game, this is when you save, quit the client completely, restart the client and load the save.

Icemanau

Re: AI Not building, sleeping or generally misbehaving?

Post by Icemanau » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:30 am

Alpha build: 0.43

My colonists are getting to a point where they just run in and out of rooms, go get minerals, run in & out of rooms, maybe stop to fix a door or two and that's it.
Sometimes they will get stuck in a loop of sleeping for about 30 secs getting up, yawning and going back to bed. If they break out of that loop they get into the one running in and out of rooms.

Built items are Workshop & door, anywhere between 2 & 4 workbenches, 4 beds, Air generator, 2 couches, expanded store room and main room, and variations on other rooms.

Build list is 4 wind generators, 4 solar generators, between 2 & 4 solar stills, up to 4 drill presses, doors into other rooms, bulkhead doors.

Build order is usually as I've listed above and the IMP is usually busy digging out more room or transporting minerals. There may be a bit of variation in the order but it's usually fairly close to it.

I will say that I do build over the mineral piles and sometimes the colonists go to those piles for their minerals or the imp picks them up.

Regards

thief_a

Post by thief_a » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:55 pm

ok, did a little note on what i build to get ya some infos (build 0.43), windows 2k8 r2 64bit
robot digged all the time

Placing order:
2 Atmo gen
1 drill
4 workbench
4 bed
4 coutch
1 toilett
1 flag (for the fun of it)
2 wind turbine
3 Solararrays
1 waterdistill
1 hopper
removing a bulkead because extending storage to the mainroom.

how they build it:
4 workbench
3 solararrays
1 windturbine
(3 workbenches state last project: toilett)
1 toilett
1 windturbine
1 destill
1 atmo gen
1 bulkehead removed
1 drill (at the same time it was build, a workbench in use had a current project: drill)
1 atmo gen
all 4 worktables current or last project coutch

colonists died of fatigue

second try:
build order:
remove bulkead
remove door
2 atmo
1 workbench
4 bed
2 coutch
1 toilet
2 windturbine
3 solararrays
1 distill

1 workbench

build oder:
remove bulkhead
remove door
1 workbench
2 windturbine
3 solararray

1 guy on workbench building toliet over and over again... about 6 times

1 distill

other guy gets to the table, first leaves, second one goes one with toilet for loop

3 guy same game

build the second workbench

4 guy building toilet over and over

5 guy

6 guy toilet

2 workbench built

atmo gen on second workbench, but not placed, on workbench 1 still endless toilett....

fist and second bench toilet

colonists died of fatigue..

3 run:
all npcs wanted to build second atmo gen for endless, i then removed it, so they startet to build an bed endless, till they died...
always doing some repairs and running arround like shoot at..

4 run:
tried to keep build/dig orders small... max of 10 blocks marked for digging at anytime,

building one after another.

workbench
2 windturbines
2 sollararray
1 distil
1 bed ---> loop
removed bed, placed a ned one (3 times, each time a loop on the workbench)
removed workbench, placed a new one.. dindt get build at all

psyrox2k

Post by psyrox2k » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:28 pm

Work shop, and Research Room right off the bat (gotta fill in those spaces or the cave collapses)
Table Table (always thought til recently we could only use one table tried 2 this time)
Bed, Bed, Bed (those guys are always lazy, fatigued, etc, too much for all the other bs stuff they fix instead of doing what we tell them to)
Atmosphere for main room
Wind Turbine, Wind Turbine (These and the arrays always are in and out far before we can build batteries, I've never gotten that far before the people stop doing stuff actually... maybe that's why they always gotta repair?)
Atmosphere for storage
Atmosphere for research lab <----- this one never got built!!
Energy Array x4 (My backups for wind turbines having issues) <--- They only built one of these =/

NOTE: I kept the imp in a room that wouldn't even get close to pathing problems for where this stuff was built, removing like 3 - 4 blocks at a time, I should note when he was done digging, he never bothered to pickup the materials that were IN a room I built over them to stop a cave in. The people eventually started to pick it up later.

Rebuilt Atmosphere in research room, they still ignored it
Built lights etc, again they ignored it kept walking around fixing doors, turbines, sometimes getting materials for w/e reason.
Also like the above post, it seems that several people wanted to build an Atmosphere Generator, even after I removed it, the amber light was going off on one table saying they wanted to build it lol... They must really like to breath.

Cave fell on IMP, workers stopped working, at one point one was sleeping on the floor near a bed, and another got into bed that one was already in.

Seems in this play through, and some of my others, the Research Room gets neglected by workers, maybe that's a main cause for issues?

Also I didn't note but obviously I built a few doors during all this, the last door after they stopped building everything else, also never go built. It was off their main room too.

Tyrannygaming

Post by Tyrannygaming » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:04 pm

My AI don' really seem to bug after any exact thing that i do. I always do the same order, mine 3 rocks in front of cave entrance, place the workshop ajoining the main room, workbench, wind turbine, bed, atmo. sometimes i make it further than that, other times i dont. they seem to not like thin room paths, and after having six colonists you would think that the work load would be spread better but they end up seeming confused. it seems like the ai, get confused by being assigned the same tasks by the system. i have noticed they all go to do the same thing and then one seems to run off and not do anything except repair doors and sleep and run. I do not know how you guys have their tasks programmed but maybe there's an issue with the distribution of tasks? seems like the task gets assigned to more than one person and never gets completed.

Mephiston

Post by Mephiston » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:54 pm

I just ran into this while playing.
I had a cave-in above and to the left about 4 squares of where the imp is stationed, and i had a previous dig order off to the right for 3 squares, as well as one down and to the left a couple of squares. For some reason the imp ran over to this fossil and stared at it, instead of going off to complete his dig orders. I did read somewhere that there was a bug with the IMP standing around if it couldnt move a fossil, so it might be related.

http://i.imgur.com/1e5aBiX.jpg

Marrv

Post by Marrv » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:11 am

Moving over to here from steam as a full browser forum is better for bug hunting etc

Right I decided to start from scratch with all issues to make sure everything is current. All that follows is from Alpha 0.44 played on 9/9/2014

Base 1;
All items placed one at a time
IMP not digging while build que active
Earthquake @ start, second about 20seconds later.
Built Workshop
Colonists Built Workbench
Colonists Built Bed
O2 Alarm goes off
Colonists Built Wind Turbine (was getting hopeful)
Place Atmo gen
Alarm gets frantic
Colonists Die

Cause; o2
Reason; I think this one was down to the base generation putting a huge hole in the wall and the bulkhead door I put to try to make it safe isnt air tight.

Recommendation; The Base generation; add a script to ensure the base is generated as air tight please.

Playtime; ~12 mins
Frustration Level: Growing

Additional Idea;
Have a restart button instead of just Abort; Saves reloading the game each time. This is more of a later in development suggestion though.

Base 2;
All items placed one at a time
IMP not digging while build que active
Base Generated airtight (Yay)
Notice Colonists moving Mats for first time
o2 Alarm sounds
Still trying to get IMP to make space work workshop.....
Workshop Section appears in "corridor" have to remove room & replace
IMP dig marker still visible after rock removed
Got workshop & workbench up
Colonists running around (I hope this does not consume more O2!)
Waiting on Bed - Materials present in store room. Excess in fact, still no bed
Colonists all in Store room, none working on bed or in workshop
Another earthquake
Colonists take turns to run to workbench, reach it & turn around. No work done
Colonists die

Cause; o2
Frustration; Mounting

Should this colonists running to workbench, not performing any task & running away again occur a second time I shall submit Bug Report

N.B.
Colonists "teleporting" - Bug? If so shall report in correct manner
By teleporting - they suddenly disappear from screen only to have returned to another part of the base (normally storage)

Base 3; (short one this one)
Base Airtight (Yay)
Starting earthquakes collapses whole of pre-open area
Send IMP to dig new area
3rd Earthquake crushes 1 square area where IMP was working
No IMP, Cant excavate or gain Materials, Cant build workshop to rebuild IMP
Game Over

Cause; Earthquake crushing IMP in a 1x1 Area
Frustration; Bugger it, having a break

Recommendation; Minimum area for earthquakes to be able to collapse ceilings (1x1 is ridiculous)
Recommendation; No earthquakes for first 5 minutes, that gives people time to set-up.

While earthquakes are not in AI programming section, I am somewhat peeved now as the game is actively trying to stop me from playing it. So Cba to put it in correct place, Sorry!

CRBear

Post by CRBear » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:42 am

I am see that the IMP's pathing gets mucked up when he goes for water barrels.

I have run in to work stoppage and I usually fix it by saving and reboot PC to clear cashed RAM. Simply Aborting and restarting will not do it. I think we may have a memory leek where its biding up and not clearing out properly.

I typically have by this time a 4x3 "workshop" 1 bench 1 drill 1 air recicaler. outside 2 air genny's, 3 soler genny's. Remove walls and bulkhead. Connect all open areas with "room" Remove exes doors and add 2 beds. 4x4 "storage". 3x4 "resurch". 3x4 "med-lab" attempt to put in 2 to 3 med-bed some times the beds get built and some times not. things stop working.

I think there may be a problem with the Drill. Each time I try to remove it the game crashes. I have gone back to my first save of this particular cave and tried to remove it there and the game crashes there too.

The red X dos not cause it to crash. Sorry... When the AI goes to remove it the game crashes.

splette

Post by splette » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:40 pm

I was playing Maia today for a bit and also got to the point a few times where colonists and the imp would simply stop doing what they are supposed to do. I frequently save the game because on my machine it crashes often. When I reloaded the save game, imp and colonists resumed working. It seemed as once the game was reloaded their queue of tasks was newly generated, so they were not stuck anymore.

Anyway, this was just my observation. I hope I am not talking nonsense here. Would be nice if someone could confirm...

Ruairí

Post by Ruairí » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:32 pm

splette wrote:I was playing Maia today for a bit and also got to the point a few times where colonists and the imp would simply stop doing what they are supposed to do. I frequently save the game because on my machine it crashes often. When I reloaded the save game, imp and colonists resumed working. It seemed as once the game was reloaded their queue of tasks was newly generated, so they were not stuck anymore.

Anyway, this was just my observation. I hope I am not talking nonsense here. Would be nice if someone could confirm...
It does happen the odd time, saving and loading tends to help as a place-holder fix till we nail this issue.