Multiple bugs and possible fixes

Report bugs here! Please use the template when posting. For help running the game, please use the tech support forum.
psyrox2k
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Multiple bugs and possible fixes

Post by psyrox2k » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:11 pm

So been debating on buying this game since I saw it on kickstarter a year or so ago and finally picked it up. It's definately interesting and has potential but I've found quite a few bugs, and some possible solutions while playing around with the game mechanics.
This is version 0.44

First off, I really think the seismic activity happens way to fast, let me explain.
You have to dig out rock for two reaons, one for resources, and two, to expand on the base (maybe more with research but I really haven't gotten to play with that yet)
If you build where you dig over the resources, sometimes they never get picked up, if you wait too long to build (sometimes less then a minute into the game) sometimes holes appear in the ground and you literally can't build where you dug out to build less then 2 minutes into playing, not cool =)

Save (F5) and Load (F9) are awesome but took me a bit to find, there's also some graphics in the upper right that may be confusing to a new player. Can we just get a save/load in the ESC menu like... 99% of other games would be super helpful
Also, on the abort in the menu, we really need a confirmation of Yes/No, first time I played I was checking out what things did and it just straight closed to desktop, no save, no warning, kinda sucked

Finally figured out how to remove objects, but it's still somewhat confusing, maybe add an icon over the object showing right click delete, left click lock for doors for instance or something similar, sorry I'm adding suggestions to bugs, but I made a really long list and I'm trying to cover it all in 1 post.

So back to what I said above building over materials, this only sometimes confuses the people, I've seen them pick stuff up once or twice when I built over it, so I'm not sure what the cause is just yet. Also while we are talking about materials, might be a good idea to have the IMP auto gather when he's not busy ripping down walls. Sometimes he just sits around and there's plenty for him to do.

I had a bug where 3 people were just sitting outside in their space suits, and I've found several reasons for this. One if you build too close to a boulder they lose pathing, you need to tear stuff down to make them move, speaking of this, boulders in general shouldn't spawn close to the door right now, as it just causes too many issues. The door itself if it's got forward rock walls on the sides of it, also breaks pathing, but clearing those causes another possible bug where walls cave in on the entrance/exit causing an instant crash.
The "room" building also has some bugs I've found, see "room" is the same space used in between building other areas, so if you expand on the starter room, it becomes part of the hallways and causes other room building bugs where sometimes corners have holes in them etc. This can cause crashes, also the seismic activity causes major crashes when you expand the room at the start instead of leaving rock walls between.
A good fix for this would be make "room" into something like "sleep quarters" so it registers as something else, and leave "room" for making hallways and connectors. The fact that those automatically are made takes away from the base building in general, and makes customizing what you want kind of confusing, It was like a 2nd game learning build mechanics alone =o.

Also another bug with expanding "room" into hallways and direct links with other areas like "workshop" or "medical" causes the imp to completely freak out until you bust some walls down, the poor guy loses all pathing sometimes and will just sit around.

Back to seismic activity, you should make it so it can NEVER break the entrance/exit as this causes an instant crash.

If you do leave big boulders in, fissures in the ground etc, we should have a way to fill those in, or break down rock, etc. These are probably coming in the future.

Also if you give them people a lot to build instead of like only a couple of things at a time, they get pretty confused, some thing will never be built until you delete them and build again, even if the people are in great health etc.

I'm sure I'll find more but these were the minor annoyances and major issues I've found so far.
Attachments
DxDiag.zip
(6.07 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

psyrox2k
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Multiple bugs and possible fixes

Post by psyrox2k » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:01 pm

Seems saves load siesmic future events sometimes too, and again those events can also bury the IMP.

Also on my loaded save where the siesmic event went off early, it made every worker stop working completely, probably due to instant loss of pathing ARGGHHH =P

psyrox2k

Post by psyrox2k » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:25 pm

Workbench light went amberish indefinately for some unknown reason, and workers refused to build anything else, even if I built another workbench (which oddly they did build...) Just refused to build anything that required a work bench.

psyrox2k

Post by psyrox2k » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:39 pm

Sometimes when you call down new people it causes the game to crash =/

psyrox2k

Post by psyrox2k » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:04 pm

If you destroy a room/building near a dig order, sometimes the order stays but the rock gets removed, eventually causing the IMP to do nothing, and the game to crash.

psyrox2k

Post by psyrox2k » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:54 pm

Ok so about back to my previous post, the amber light on the craft table means someone is using it by the looks of things, so maybe they died and had something queued and it was stuck permenantly not sure. A list of things queued, and who's sappose to build it would not only be useful to players (especially for prioritizing) but also a great dev tool for us reporting problems. hint hint ;)

So when I started out I had lots of issues where stuff was just never being built, I figured out that not only does it have to be green when you place it, (you can't place it when it's red anyways), but you need to make sure all the greyed out people spots have room for people to get there as well, seems you need all of them available. This may be due to another pathing bug or w/e not sure BUT my suggestion as a fix would be to make the build sqaures include the spots for people to walk up and build it in a future release, so anything it's green we are 100% sure it's going to build.

I fixed this by making insanely huge rooms and building more toward the middle of the rooms rather then near walls.

psyrox2k

Post by psyrox2k » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:03 am

Recreated the amber light on crafting table bug, it seems someone is assigned to make something that is already built, the person is alive and well, but I can't cancel the project, and it's holding up the queue on other projects ><
There could of course be several reasons this happened, so basically think of a bunch and start going thru the code =O GL!

psyrox2k

Post by psyrox2k » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:04 am

Can't remove glowsticks (red ones especially that are there on the start in the storage room)
Can't remove workshop table (Possibly because I have that queue bug I was talking about above, so basically there's no way I know of to fix this)

psyrox2k

Post by psyrox2k » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:43 am

Back to the workshop bug above, it seems mostly (other then the first time it happened to me) if you wait a while and delete everything that isn't built yet it can sometimes fix itself.

We need some opacity behind text outside, as text against the ground is mostly unreadable.

psyrox2k

Post by psyrox2k » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:51 am

One colonist walked thru a wall into a rock wall, highlighting her said
Colonist unresponsive: Act Immediately

I had 5 beds built and 5 hospitol beds, food, water, etc.

I had a bunch of other colonists limping around and dieing from fatigue too, maybe I built something too close to a bed and they couldn't figure out how to use it and never bothered using the others, idk? Hard to say when we only got haiku's to go by and not a real status on each person, which would be much more informative on what's going on, or what they are attempting to do. Would again also help us give better feedback for bug fixes.