SimoRoth
Site Admin

Blog: Doing it wrong

Post by SimoRoth » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:48 pm

Ortwin

Re: Blog: Doing it wrong

Post by Ortwin » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:13 pm

Right or wrong are funny concepts.
I'd say you did it right, and at this point you can't do anything wrong, even if you finish your doctorate, get a regular job and quit game development entirely. The internet can rage all it wants.

Now please imagine I wrote here a deeply inspiring plea conserning free will, shaping your own fate, and you being in a unique position while most of us simply live and die in obscurity while you have a (financially realistic) oppertunity to follow your (or just 'a') dream.

Also, don't forget most of those supposed 'game review' websites blatantly copy anything that gets hits on other similar sites. Simply because this 'decent research and journalism' thing is usually too time consuming/difficult for most of these under-manned sites.
You got a spike of attention now, but the general public is and will stay unaware unless there is an actual playable game that will get people to tell their friends 'look what a promising gem I found...' etc. etc.

If you like the attention: be glad you got early attention;
If you worry about the early attention: Be glad that 99% of the visitor flood will have forgotten about this game within 48 hours. They will only remember again when, as stated above, there is some content that will spread through word of mouth.
The <1% that sticks for longer than a week (even big-mouthed me is not part of that group yet :P) can provide you with a valuable asset of 'advise, commentary and bug-finding subjects'.

(Boy I start to feel sorry for you, even when I intend to write a short 'good luck, I'll try to help if I can' comment I end up with half a page, you really read all my ramblings :P?)

randommonicle

Post by randommonicle » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:02 pm

I would say you are literally doing everything possible the right way.

What you are...creating......giving birth to? :P is something that has been really lacking in modern pc gaming. The fact that you have been perfectly transparent with everything has done wonders as well.

Just keep doing what you re doing, keep interacting and developing this community, and always be transparent :D

I for one cannot wait for the opportunity to literally throw my money at your account :) And i have resolved myself to be very very wary after games such as sword of the stars 2, stronghold 3, legends of pegasus and many others in recent memory.
Burn with me

Gothars

Post by Gothars » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:08 pm

Considering that you plan to finance the game through alpha funding, I think this is a great thing for you to happen. Even if most visitors are soon gone, they might remember Maia once you offer preorders and get covered again. And it must be reassuring to see that your project generates interest with so many people, isn't it?

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:56 pm

Gothars wrote:Considering that you plan to finance the game through alpha funding, I think this is a great thing for you to happen. Even if most visitors are soon gone, they might remember Maia once you offer preorders and get covered again. And it must be reassuring to see that your project generates interest with so many people, isn't it?
Yeah. Damn reassuring. :) The first RPS thread was best. Every comment was a money throwing comment.

One of the main reasons for getting the word out early is to get people familiar with my name and of the game. I think the "oh yeah I know this", factor is probably pretty important.

randommonicle

Post by randommonicle » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:03 am

so how long untill we can throw money at you huh? ;)
Burn with me

rkolenc

Post by rkolenc » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:51 am

randommonicle wrote:so how long untill we can throw money at you huh? ;)
I approve of that comment.

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:21 am

Wrong all wrong, so wrong it looks like its right.
The right way is that the game gets developed and lives up to your dreams and your expectations, dont worry about the rest of us we are just here for the ride.

Are you ticking all the right boxes to make it a massive commercial success as defined by how a huge publisher of rubbish AAA titles defines success, probably not, but that's why you became a Indie isn't it?
To do your own thing and to be answerable to yourself with regards to the quality, integrity and have the time and space to dream.

Can you slick up your forums a bit more, can you tighten up the experience on the main web site, sure, should that be your priority? No.
You are an indie developer that has put in the ground work for what has the potential I believe to be one of the years best sellers if you hold true to yourself and deliver the best game you can with as little compromise to the dream as possible.
I'm sure you probably have some followers out there that can help you tighten up the external communications, web site and forums and let you spend more time on the project.

Just put the call out for some help and I bet you'll get a response of ready willing and most importantly able people to offer you some free time and skills to get that external image of the project streamlined.

The only people I know of at the moment that are creating a project that seems to match your project with regards to style, humour & integrity is War for the Overworld
By the looks of things you will beat these guys to market, but the target audience will be very similar I think. Their's is very openly a homage to Dungeon Keeper and your's appears to be somewhat of an evolution of DK.

Best of luck and I look forward to the Alpha testing
[img]http://burninglegion.org/forum/download ... ig.png/img]

^^^^^Please turn BBcode ON in signatures^^^^^

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:04 am

Mark wrote:
The only people I know of at the moment that are creating a project that seems to match your project with regards to style, humour & integrity is War for the Overworld
By the looks of things you will beat these guys to market, but the target audience will be very similar I think. Their's is very openly a homage to Dungeon Keeper and your's appears to be somewhat of an evolution of DK.
Out of interest. Where did you hear about this project? I've never even seen this before! They seem to have a huge following already too...

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:03 am

Hi Simon,
I don't know if you know about Keeper Clan but it is a community mod site for DK1 & DK2 and has been for some years.
War for the Overworld grew out of that community and they decided that they had the skills to do a real reboot justice.
When it got serious they left "Keeper Clan" and formed subterraneangames.com.
A few months back a few key stakeholders had a falling out about direction and IP which put the guys back a little bit, they are back on track now and I believe are getting an Revised Tech Demo together for Kickstarter.

I've been following its progress for, I guess 18 months or so now.

I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the popular media or gaming sites, so just the dedicated DK fans will know about it for now, I'm sure its launch on Kickstarter will fix that.

I hope that helps

Whilst you are here and reading this post, is there any chance you can go into the ACP and turn on BBcode for signatures?
Its under the General Tab, and Signature Settings.

Cheers

Mark
[img]http://burninglegion.org/forum/download ... ig.png/img]

^^^^^Please turn BBcode ON in signatures^^^^^