Sci-fi BOOKS you have to read.

Talk about the game
randommonicle

Sci-fi BOOKS you have to read.

Post by randommonicle » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:45 am

As suggested by AvatarIII in the sci-fi films thread i thought i would jump the gun and start a sci-fi books thread. So please feel free to chuck all your reccomendation's in here and we can see where this takes us :)

I reccomend:
Beneath a frozen sky
Spinward fringe broadcasts
Peace and War
Pretty much all of the horus heresy novels
Battle tech dark age arc i also enjoyed.

What else have you guys got to throw in to the mix?
Burn with me

Studdart

Re: Sci-fi BOOKS you have to read.

Post by Studdart » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:52 am

Now this one I could go on forever with so, I'll start with just a few.

Dune Series - Frank Herbert (never really got into the ones by his son Brian Herbert)
Foundation (including Second Foundation, Foundation and Empire etc) - Isaax Asimov
iRobot, Actually I'll save time...
ANYTHING by Isaac Asimov
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (the Trillogy in five parts) - Douglas Adams
The Portable Door - Tom Holt (more fantasy, but I love the idea of having a portable door)
Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham
War of the Worlds - H.G Wells
Neuromancer - William Gibson
I'll get my coat...

Post by AvatarIII » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:02 pm

ah I knew I should have just made it, :lol:

Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy is a must read for any hard SF fans, especially those interested in colonisation of less than hospitable planets... such as Maia
Alastair Reynolds - pretty much anything, but most;y his Revelation Space series, House of Suns, and Terminal World, and Pushing Ice, and Century rain. oh wait I've just listed almost everything he's written. :?
Peter F Hamilton is a good read too.
Philip K Dick can be a hard read but you can see why his books are so often adapted into movies, the ideas at the core of his stories are so compelling.
I'm currently reading Man Plus by Frederik Pohl and it's pretty awesome, and the only other book I've read by him: Gateway, is one of my favourites.
Then there's the Enderverse books by Orson Scott Card, some people say only read the fist book, or the first and second, but I say it's worth reading all the Ender and Shadow books, although the last one I've read is 2008's Ender in Exile. OSC seems to be going crazy writing more of these at the moment (2 books this year and 2 more planned for next year!)

flamescorpion

Post by flamescorpion » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:38 pm

I second Peter Hamilton - the nights dawn trilogy, mindstar trilogy and the commonwealth saga? its all good
i loved snow crash by neal stephenson (not massivley SF but a damn good read)
anything by Neal Asher but especially the agent cormac series
and for a slightly more comical twist the commisar cain (its warhammer 40K so a tad niche but good fun)

Edit Forgot the Shadow Warrior Trilogy by Chris Bunch

Post by AvatarIII » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:27 pm

Night's Dawn trilogy was basically what got me into reading for fun when I was a teenager.

PlasmaDavid

Post by PlasmaDavid » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:35 am

Some great suggestions in here guys!

If anyone hasn't read science fiction, and is maybe a bit daunted... try to find a short story compilation. Especially authors like Isaac Asimov, sci-fi short stories can take you to a whole realm of worlds and explore a huge number of quirky possibilities in a very short time. I find it hard to enjoy the setting of many games these days, just because I know that in a 50 page short sci-fi story I'm likely to encounter a much more original and engrossing world!

Anyway, for anyone planning on playing Maia (and let's face it, who here isn't?) I cannot reccomend the novel Legacy of Heorot by Larry Niven enough. Following the settlement of humanities first extra-solar excursion, after a period of extreme caution the community is starting to feel a bit too complacent. It isn't long before a local alpha predator detects the newcomers in its habitat...

I'm quite a sci-fi bookworm and I can't think of a better "colonists vs the new world" novel. As much as I loved the film Alien, Legacy of Heorot had me sweating on a whole new level. It's on iBooks (along with the sequel) and an IRL copy could be hard to track down.

Hell, almost any work of Larry Niven is excellent. He can focus a bit more on the character side of things, but it's still mostly great accessible sci-fi.
Send in more planes!

b0rsuk

Post by b0rsuk » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:18 pm

Stanisław Lem wrote more than just "Solaris". One novel i like is "The Invicible":
A very powerful and armed interstellar space ship called Invincible lands on the planet Regis III which seems uninhabited and bleak, to investigate the loss of its sister ship, Condor.
Sounds quite un-Lem-like, because he's associated with more lofty stuff. But it's a very solid adventure novel, which sacrifices lengthy descriptions for good action.

SlippedUp

Post by SlippedUp » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:07 am

I am surprised no one has mentioned Iain M. Banks yet. His Culture novels are especially mind shattering but all his Sci-Fi works are pretty astounding. Consider Phlebas and Against a Dark Background are two of my favorite. His works under the moniker Iain

Banks (no M ^^), such as The Wasp Factory, are also good.

Dan Simmons Hyperion is a definite read as well. Think Canterbury Tales in space; though this does not do it justice. A little hard to get into but worth it.

Oh and Tiger Tiger by Alfred Bester and anything by Stephen Baxter. I'm sure I'll think of others but that's what comes to mind atmo.

- ITG

Post by AvatarIII » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:02 am

SlippedUp wrote:I am surprised no one has mentioned Iain M. Banks yet. His Culture novels are especially mind shattering but all his Sci-Fi works are pretty astounding. Consider Phlebas and Against a Dark Background are two of my favorite. His works under the moniker Iain

Banks (no M ^^), such as The Wasp Factory, are also good.

Dan Simmons Hyperion is a definite read as well. Think Canterbury Tales in space; though this does not do it justice. A little hard to get into but worth it.

Oh and Tiger Tiger by Alfred Bester and anything by Stephen Baxter. I'm sure I'll think of others but that's what comes to mind atmo.

- ITG
ehh i'm not a big Banks fan myself, I read Use of Weapons and thought it was pretty mediocre

Yes totally agree, all 4 Hyperion books, and Ilium/Olympos and Worlds Enough and Time, all awesome

I don't think it's been published under that title in years, most people know it as "The Stars My Destination", Bester's The Demolished Man is good too

SlippedUp

Post by SlippedUp » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:55 am

I don't think it's been published under that title in years, most people know it as "The Stars My Destination", Bester's The Demolished Man is good too
Ah, didn't know that. The only copy I have belonged to my uncle and he had it from years back. A shame you don't like Banks, but he's not for everyone. you might want to try some of his more
recent works, see if they have matured with age. I haven't read the demolished man, will have to look out for it.

Lots of interesting books here that i haven't read, or not in a while, looks like i know what i'll be getting for Christmas ^^.