General Suggestions and Questions

Talk about the game
Roghan

Re: General Suggestions and Questions

Post by Roghan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:51 am

Might be worth you checking out the Kickstarter updates as I did a big QA at some point and I think I covered some of this
My search-fu was lacking (in my defense its not an straight to find info), but it did stop me from some further questions.

I've gone into detail on the climate simulation so you can read up about that.
Alas, i was unable to find such text. A link perhaps?

Now for further questions time!

1) I've read around here and the kickstarter, but haven't found much clue on the backstory of the game. I gather that its year 2113 and its the first colonization program. Also its a survival mission. Explain why is this a survival mission, what's happening back on earth? Who's running the gig? What kind of support is Earth giving? Are the colonists on their own once they reach Maia?(Why, did they lose contact?). How long was the trip? What happened to their ship, or ships? Is there an orbital station? Space docks?

If there's backing, then there should probably be colonists immigration/emigration. Despite game difficulty.

If they are colonizing because "the sun is gonna blow earth over" then sure its a survival mission. If its not that bad then there will be more purposes for the colony: "scientific pursues, colonization spreading, economic mining, economic tourism, etc". Or is this some kind of bio-dome experiment "good luck out there until we check you guys in a year or so" ?

2) What kind of life support system will the game feature? A CELLS i believe?

I mean, there will be oxygen, waste, water and food management right?
They will poop, wash and shower? :)

3) Please comment on the size of the colony. How many peeps are there gonna be, some kind of hard maximum? (instead of sustainability max.)
I read you are thinking of introducing children and an aging process. Is it feasible?

Taking the average 6 minutes per in-game day, that would mean one year in-game is gonna take what 30+ hours? or 500+ hours for a young adult to develop? I dunno, i may be way off here because i really suck at math.

Of course that won't be a problem if: time ellipses. Between missions most probably.

In case you do introduce. Make children killable. Fallout had it and it didn't upset the world balance. Oh oh oh, how about death and gory death animations????

4) Since children are a possibility, i infer that sex will be in the game? Is there gonna be just some under-the-sheets goofiness a la Sims or maybe censored pixels?
Encounters are gonna be restricted to bedding quarters or Staff Sargeant John Mcnoodles and Medical Officer Amanda Jones can meet at the pumping room for some steamy sex pumping?

5) Same as previous post: How private quarters (and individuality for that matter) are gonna be handled? Can you assign beds for example?

6) Since your kickstarter achievements made campaign possible, what's the latest idea on how the colony will be handled over several missions?

That is, it's just a single colony that you keep increasing over time? Maybe more than one colony? WIll we be able to kick forth and back if there's more than one? Perhaps some sort of global scale management.

How i envision: A central colony and quite possibly several sister colonies that must be created as the plot moves on, with you going back to main and perhaps a few of the other ones. For example developing a new tech in a forward base and putting it to use in your main; discovering a new enemy and having to deal with in your main, etc.

Meaning: In games like this, we develop our colony/dungeon/station and get attached to it, often staying for long periods after the mission is done. That said, we do get over it after a while and it's always challenging / fun creating a colony from scratch. So i suggest giving us the best of two worlds.

7) Somewhere you mentioned how everyone will have different sets of skills but that they won't be stated, having you to figure that out.

I do understand that reasoning, although it has its flaws: Who are the guys going to Maia? Who picks them? Won't they have a detailed dossier explaining they past expertise and what they specialized/worked with?

Of course, that may be what you already going for, then i just misinterpreted what i read. In that case disregard this question.

The colonies won't be that grandiose. This is basic survival!
Ah well, that would be a pet dream anyways. Maybe Maia 2 will have it ;)

Edit: Please, tell me of the non-existence of an ancient alien menace that can only be countered with the help of the also ancient but gentler alien cousins

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:28 am

1) I've read around here and the kickstarter, but haven't found much clue on the backstory of the game. I gather that its year 2113 and its the first colonization program. Also its a survival mission. Explain why is this a survival mission, what's happening back on earth? Who's running the gig? What kind of support is Earth giving? Are the colonists on their own once they reach Maia?(Why, did they lose contact?). How long was the trip? What happened to their ship, or ships? Is there an orbital station? Space docks?
It is a colonisation effort, but it is interstellar. This being hard scifi, even as a concerted effort with orbital factories and a central command they are short staffed.
(Why, did they lose contact?)
Because it's 14 light years away. That's a long time to wait for a response to your email. :p
immigration/emigration
Since it's hard scifi, the cost of getting to/from orbit on an earth like planet is too much to have this a regular thing.
2) What kind of life support system will the game feature? A CELLS i believe?
Cellular atmosphere, but no waste management yet. Water management is partly simulated.
3) Please comment on the size of the colony. How many peeps are there gonna be, some kind of hard maximum? (instead of sustainability max.)
Small. I'm going for atmosphere and a slow paced game. You probably won't get more than 20 colonists at once. The average mission may only have 10 or so. (that said there are lots of animals etc too, so it will have a good amount of things going on)

Children... may or may not get cut.
Make children killable.

This is problematic since a lot of our humour is light hearted and it may put a weird dark tone on the game that we didn't intend.
6) Since your kickstarter achievements made campaign possible, what's the latest idea on how the colony will be handled over several missions?
6 very different colonies over the 8 mission campaign. I don't want to spoil it! :p
Somewhere you mentioned how everyone will have different sets of skills but that they won't be stated, having you to figure that out.
Won't they have a detailed dossier explaining they past expertise and what they specialized/worked with?
They have procedural back stories, but you won't get all the data. Finding the character in your colonist will involve piecing things together and a good dab of the ol imagination.
Please, tell me of the non-existence of an ancient alien menace that can only be countered with the help of the also ancient but gentler alien cousins
The alien world itself is the worst menace of the game. (that and meteors (and Tau Ceti))

Roghan

Post by Roghan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:27 am

Ok that's not all the answers but its coming pretty close to what i would like to play (ideally). Sweet!

Man, if you are in doubt, just cut the children (not literally, heh) . Really it's not that big a deal and the pros are not worth the trouble. Not to mention the extra labor it will create.

Like i mentioned, if time just flows constantly (even with a fast forward) it would take ages IRL for someone to become an adult. Just use time lapses and voila, new people out the oven!

Because it's 14 light years away
Woa 14ly? Thats... a lot. How long did they take to reach Maia from earth? A few hundred years? Thousand+ ? i.e.: It's HSF with a 70s mindset, so no warp drives or spooling the FTL. What is the practical max we are looking for here, 1% of speed of light? About 1.400 years to reach Maia?

That would probably require a generation ship. Or sleeping ships. Which has its own implications (such as basics like better tech being researched and reaching either the ship or Maia first, etc). Earth folks would change radically in such a long time.

It does make the survival aspect more blatant. It also requires children at some point though,(since its a one way lets-nest-somewhere trip) even if they 'store' the children in a non-controllable colony.

Unless you are saying that in this world technology is slow-paced, so even after a few hundred years things still look like the 70s. Which is quirky at best.

EDIT: Since it has the 70s flavor it *WILL* feature a Disco room. Right? :D

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:40 pm

Roghan wrote:Ok that's not all the answers but its coming pretty close to what i would like to play (ideally). Sweet!

Man, if you are in doubt, just cut the children (not literally, heh) . Really it's not that big a deal and the pros are not worth the trouble. Not to mention the extra labor it will create.

Like i mentioned, if time just flows constantly (even with a fast forward) it would take ages IRL for someone to become an adult. Just use time lapses and voila, new people out the oven!

Because it's 14 light years away
Woa 14ly? Thats... a lot. How long did they take to reach Maia from earth? A few hundred years? Thousand+ ? i.e.: It's HSF with a 70s mindset, so no warp drives or spooling the FTL. What is the practical max we are looking for here, 1% of speed of light? About 1.400 years to reach Maia?

That would probably require a generation ship. Or sleeping ships. Which has its own implications (such as basics like better tech being researched and reaching either the ship or Maia first, etc). Earth folks would change radically in such a long time.

It does make the survival aspect more blatant. It also requires children at some point though,(since its a one way lets-nest-somewhere trip) even if they 'store' the children in a non-controllable colony.

Unless you are saying that in this world technology is slow-paced, so even after a few hundred years things still look like the 70s. Which is quirky at best.

EDIT: Since it has the 70s flavor it *WILL* feature a Disco room. Right? :D
Actually I meant 12, typo. But still yeah a long journey.

My favourite idea is to use a Alcubierre Drive, that would reduce it to a much shorter journey. (but still several years due to travel within the Tau Ceti system, you can't arrive too close to any other ship or the planet or risk decimating everything with the particles ejected at arrival)

The reason everything is 70's tech is that is the level of technology a person can build with basic tools and in a reliable fashion.

The aesthetic itself is pretty timeless.