Making maias guns more futuristic

Talk about the game
marine565

Making maias guns more futuristic

Post by marine565 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:52 pm

Its come to my attention that maias weapons are almost 200 years old. Not by todays standards but in maias universe at that time yes. I feel that at the most even if weapons like this are still in use they should be more futuristic. In other words modified but still somewhat the same. For example the ammo could have a more modern/futuristic looking magazine. Maybe the guns butt or whatever the hell you call it the back portion you put near your shoulders to reduce kick. Anyway the guns butt could look more modern/futuristc and maybe a bit cleaner and less rusted? Maybe different reloading> I mean its essentially someone today using a gun from the age of discovery for self defense. I mean it would work but it would be outdated. I know we are trying to have a 70s aesthetic look but I mean even aliens had scfi guns such as the pulse rifle which was highly realistic. I could provide some concept art I drew to give an example. I mean at the most provide some futuristic weapon options. I mean how do we acquire more guns and soldiers? It would be great if you fully responded to this because iv asked a lot of questions before and never got a response for all of them.

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Re: Making maias guns more futuristic

Post by SimoRoth » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:22 pm

The guns are quite modernised. Eg the m2 turrets are smoothed off, have advanced feeds and electronic firing mechanisms.

But there really is good reason for the weapons to be the same. We just don't change things that work. And for a non military mission they are unlikely to design weapons for their new environment when they can get reliable proven designs. We won't be using 7.62 assault rifles, so they'd probably just refurb some old ones.

The m2 will still be in service in 100 years time, as will the browning high power pistol. And barring a few carbon fibre components will be mostly identical.
I mean how do we acquire more guns and soldiers?
They'd have to machine them from metal. Suddenly an old fashioned metal stock doesn't sound like such a bad thing eh? :p

Also, the charm of the game is that they've been given some really atrocious and inappropriate kit. :p

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:44 pm

That said, it will be very easy to produce new content packs and even if I can't find the time to do some flashy white plastic versions I'm sure the mod scene will!

marine565

Post by marine565 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:40 pm

Thanks for responding fully. I totally understand and im fine with older looking guns. I have a 2 more questions if you dont mind. Do more futuristic weapons exist? Something like the m41a pulse rifle? Also do people solely live on planetoid colony's or do some people live in space and you have a starwarsy thingy going on with mining colonies on asteroids and spaceships . Also I would just want to say that I didnt really mean the FN-FAL (self loading rifle) would be changed for the non military mission but in general the gun be modified just to make it more modern. For example how they updated the ak-47 with newer versions for no specif reasons but to keep them up to date.
Sorry for the long message Im just filled with questions and ideas.

A full response like last time please. I cant wait to get this game, spend hours on it and do some mods with my own spin on the universe.

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:55 pm

In the game they don't exist but in the universe they do. This isn't a military mission and they have completely underestimated the danger of the world, so the weapons they have were just precautionary. I'd assume that on earth 5.56 or 6.5mm weapons would have become very advanced with new casings and materials and a high level of compactness.

There is collection of resources in space around the planet, I can't talk about that too much since it ties into the story. :D

marine565

Post by marine565 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:21 am

Oh fantastic. I would love to do an xcom style mod with sort of an aliens feel of sending military personal to failed colonies.

jezzliam

Post by jezzliam » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:23 am

that would be awesome, I will also do that xcom style mod . ;)
I don't have to be careful, I've got a gun. :D
Matt Groening cheap knives