Playing Maia

Talk about the game

Post Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:15 pm

Playing Maia

Struggling with playing Maia? Here's a few things to get you started.

Maia's configuration files, if you wish to change the resolution or quality settings, is in My Documents/Maia/config.xml. Open it in a text editor of your choice. Yes, “BloodyShoddyLookingIfYouAskMe” really is a texture setting. And it is really shoddy looking.

On starting the game, you should be seeing a nice render of the planet Maia. Click anywhere on the screen to start the game proper.

The first thing you will need is to build a Workshop, and inside that Workshop, a Worktable. The Worktable has the necessary tools required for your colonists to build more complicated items.

To place a Workshop, select the room icon (the middle one of the 3 at the bottom of your screen) or press J. Press 3 to select the Workshop tile, and then click to place the room tiles. We recommend a 3x3 room to start you off. If you are unsatisfied with your efforts at construction, you may use CTRL while in Room mode to disassemble room tiles. If you find you now have doors surplus to requirements, you may also disassemble these by going to Interaction mode (Left button or H), holding CTRL and clicking on the door frame.

Now that is done, select the tool icon (right icon) or press K. With your cursor inside the workshop, scroll through the items with V or B until you reach the worktable. Place the item with your left mouse. Press and hold the left mouse to rotate the item. Hold CTRL to have the item snap to a grid. You'll need to place a door on the room too.

Should you need to mine out areas in order to enlarge your colony, go into Interaction Mode (Left icon/H) and left click on sections of rock. Your friendly IMP Bot will then mine these areas out for you. The minerals gained from this will be collected and used for construction in the near future.

Now your workshop is complete, you should focus on the colonists' survival. Colonists need 3 things to survive: An atmosphere they can breathe, water for hydration and food for sustenance. Atmosphere generators contain the necessary scrubbers to turn Maia's otherwise poisonous atmosphere into something suitable for humans to breathe. Solar stills collect Maia's various precipitation and purify them into drinkable water. Hydroponically grown crops provide food for the colonists to eat.

Certain pieces of equipment will require power to function; Lights (other than chemically-powered glowsticks) and atmosphere generators being the most critical of these. Solar arrays and wind turbines can generate power for you although the output may vary with light and wind conditions; fusion and fission reactors can also be built, although they have their downsides...

Explore with the room and tool options available to you, and hopefully you will be on your way to building a successful colony.

Here is a full list of controls:

WSAD = movement.
Mousewheel = zoom
Alt + mouse mouse = rotate camera
Shift-Escape = closes the game
ctrl-t = Skips the tutorial.

9-0 decrease/increase scroll speed.

j = Place rooms. (hold ctrl to delete tiles)
Press 1-8 for different room types.

h = Info mode.

Click-place digging markers (on rock) / read info tips (on mouseover of objects) Click to track any object in game. Click empty ground to stop tracking. CTRL-click doors to remove them.

k = Click-place objects (use v-b to scroll all objects ctrl for snap-to-grid )

u = Instabuild objects (cheat control, will not be in the game!)
g = delete last object .

f12 = Screenshot.
Pause = Pause the game.

ctrl-l = regenerate world. (bugged: Memory leak!)

-/+ Keypad = Modify game time speed. (This will not be in final game, so don't report bugs!)
Chris - Tech Support drone and bughunter

Contact me: chris [at] maiagame.com Twitter

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:26 am

Re: Playing Maia

How do you save your progress in the game? whenever i close it and reopen it i have to restart completely.

Site Admin

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:23 am

tnjtriston wrote:How do you save your progress in the game? whenever i close it and reopen it i have to restart completely.

Saving is something that is coming in a few weeks time.

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Thank you Bob that was very helpful to me.

I do have some small questions...

Does our colonist count increase over time?

How long does it take to build things like atmosphere processors, power, food etc etc...

Is there anyway of knowing how many resources we currently have such as tools etc etc?

I know this is still alpha and I very much appreciate the work Simon is investing in this game but thought I'd ask in case I have missed this info.

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:30 pm

SimoRoth wrote:
tnjtriston wrote:How do you save your progress in the game? whenever i close it and reopen it i have to restart completely.

Saving is something that is coming in a few weeks time.

Ok, thank you, and good luck with the rest of the game :D

Post Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:19 pm

I cant wait till the economy is introduced fully and playing with that
Covering RTS Indie games on Youtube
www.youtube.com/RaetacRages

Post Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:21 am

Colonist M wrote:Does our colonist count increase over time?

Not until we get the Cryo-defrostation Microwave object to warm up more colonists :)

Is there/will there soon be a way to rotate objects when you place them?
Send in more planes!

Post Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:41 am

PlasmaDavid wrote:

Not until we get the Cryo-defrostation Microwave object to warm up more colonists :)

There is; hold down the LMB when placing an object and move the mouse around to rotate it freely, or hold ctrl while doing so to turn it in 90 degree angles.

Post Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:58 am

Evma wrote:
PlasmaDavid wrote:

There is; hold down the LMB when placing an object and move the mouse around to rotate it freely, or hold ctrl while doing so to turn it in 90 degree angles.

Thanks so much!

Simon add this to the help info! :P
Send in more planes!

Post Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:36 pm

Very helpful. Though I do find it odd that esc key closes game. Generally by default esc brings up a menu in most games.
Next

Return to General chat