Music

Talk about the game
Nexus

Music

Post by Nexus » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:25 pm

Hey guys. I wasn't sure where to start this topic. I hope you don't mind me starting it here.

I was just curious to the Maia OST? Who creates the music?

Would you be interested in using my music (FOR FREE) for Maia.
I would not expect anything in return. Just to have my music in a awesome game would be worth it.

https://soundcloud.com/ashleighpankhurstmusic

Please feel free to have a gander, Message me back if you are interested. I would love to work with you guys on some awesome
Atmospheric melodies :lol:
Last edited by Nexus on Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

marsbound2024

Re: Music

Post by marsbound2024 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:54 am

I accessed the link, but it does not appear you have shared anything publicly. Could this be an error or do I need a SoundCloud account or to follow you? I'd love to hear your work.

- Derek

Nexus

Post by Nexus » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:07 am

Sorry about that good sir.

I had taken them down to upload newer versions of the song samples. Try now. :lol:

Ianblix

Post by Ianblix » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:28 pm

Heard the colony and stratosphere and it sounds allot like some of the tracks from eve-online :P
Best regards Ian

marsbound2024

Post by marsbound2024 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:05 pm

I listened to both tracks: "Colony" and "Stratosphere". Each has their own merits about why they are good and I have to agree with Ianblix, that "Stratosphere" reminds me of EVE Online. The atmospheres of both compositions are nice and fluid, without being overly bright (though at 3'15" of "Colony" I believe it becomes a bit bright), which I think would make a good fit for this game. I am re-listening to "Colony" now and I have to say that the sound would seem to fit in with a semi muted retro-feel that Simon is trying to convey in his game.

As I write this, I am now re-listening to "Stratosphere". It starts off really nice and mellow, which to me echoes a lot of the darkness in the game and maybe even a "stranded" feel. What I mean by that is that these colonists are stranded on this world, so I can feel that in this composition. It seems to be a really great ambient/atmospheric composition, even more so than "Colony". It is thus befitting of its name "Stratosphere".

I can see "Colony" being a good fit in the daylight hours of the game (though I think it can straddle that line pretty well between night and day; if it weren't for the bit of brightness at the end, I'd say--of course just in my opinion--that it'd be a great fit for either), whereas "Stratosphere" would be a good fit in the night hours. People may disagree with me on this, however, and that is perfectly fine. I'm just throwing in my two cents.

Overall, a really good job with these.

Nexus

Post by Nexus » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:37 am

Wow man, That was such a great review of my songs. Thank you!
I really did not expect such detailed description on the feelings on the songs.
That is really amazing. Thank you.

Yes, Colony was writen to give a 'New begining' Feel behind it. So the stranded, starting new. Diffinately fits it's meaning very well.
Where as Stratosphere was supposed to give the Feeling of wonder and lonelieness. At the end of the song it picks up, That's more of a exploration feel.

Also Jon Hallur (EVE online Composer) Is one of my inspirations.
So I am very pleased you guys can hear the infulences. :mrgreen:

So chuffed with this. Thanks again!

marsbound2024

Post by marsbound2024 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:48 am

No problem, Nexus. I have reviewed others' music as well, and although I am not necessarily in a position to do this professionally, I know what sounds good to me so I give my honest opinions. I love music as much as I love writing, and I'll always be upfront with what I think, whether good or bad. Of course it all comes down to constructive criticism, which is absolutely required when you are trying to collaborate or help others in general. I really hope you find a place for your music, and if you don't, I am sure we can figure something out for you. I have a side project that I haven't started on yet, that might really enjoy the talents you possess.

In the end, however, I wish you the best and I hope that Simon takes a good look at your great work!

Nexus

Post by Nexus » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:56 am

Indeed, Ever since I played a game called Warzone 2100.
I have always wanted to create a OST for a game. Space games just attract my attention because the style I compose in suites well.
Constructive criticism is always welcome. I am very open with my work. I try to be atleast lol.

marsbound2024

Post by marsbound2024 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:03 am

Nexus wrote:Indeed, Ever since I played a game called Warzone 2100.
I have always wanted to create a OST for a game. Space games just attract my attention because the style I compose in suites well.
Constructive criticism is always welcome. I am very open with my work. I try to be atleast lol.
That's the very game I am working on a side project for. The community has been at odds with side projects for quite some time. They talked about sequels to the game, but none of them ever got off the ground. I am writing a story line for a "fourth" campaign, to see if the community would rather endorse that than jump straight into a sequel, which is a very large project. The community just can't seem to agree on anything, and I'm hoping to eventually overcome that. I have paid sparse attention to the Warzone 2100 forums, and I don't see much being done about any sequels (or prequels) except to further enhance the current game.

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:08 am

In answer to your first question the music is done by Nick Dymond, from Force of Habit. He's also doing the game's sound work and FMOD stuff.