Research and Technology

Talk about the game
feneris

Research and Technology

Post by feneris » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:55 am

So, we've seen the research lab in the current alpha release. You've mentioned there is going to be a tech tree, and that fossils can be collected and used for research, as can presumably captured native life. (The dissection table can't just be for show.)

But the question I want to ask, is how are you planning on implementing research. Is research merely going to unlock new objects, and new rooms? Is it going to improve the efficiency of colonists, or various objects, or is it going to affect how colonists behave? (AKA, they now know that the innocuous little white rabbit-like creature can leap over three meters and goes for the throat if approached?)

Or maybe something I haven't suggested. I'm really curious to see what you have planned here. Other games of this genre all had research as kinda a side deal, and it's actually sometimes one of my favorite parts of a game.

PlasmaDavid

Re: Research and Technology

Post by PlasmaDavid » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:00 am

I would have thought it's sill to have colonists unlocking new generic technology. After all, they arrived on the biggest and best project humanity has ever constructed.

I think research should lock into Maia specific stuff, such as finding uses for strange mineral types they find, or plants etc
Send in more planes!

MrKraken

Re: Research and Technology

Post by MrKraken » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:51 pm

The thing about research is that you can research anything! There's no end to the possibilities and hopefully Simon & Co. will do all sorts.

Although I would like to see a research tree for "how to avoid colonists heads exploding"

...for this we'd need colonists heads exploding....

....please? :D

Designer, Vaper, Gamer