Maia Feature Requests for 0.45

Talk about the game
Lowbrow

Maia Feature Requests for 0.45

Post by Lowbrow » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:41 am

Hello, I thought it might be nice to have a spot for feature requests.

Mine is a command for the immediate erasure of planned items from the build queue.

One of the issues that I've run into is that items like Tape Storage, Single Beds, etc. appear to be orphaned from the build queue, or perhaps I decide that I'd rather place the door on the left side of the room. I'd like the ability to immediately remove the green space holder and the entry in the build queue.
Currently when I use CTRL-left click to schedule the item to be demolished, I have to wait for the item to be built and then see it demolished, if it gets demolished at all.

Honestly, it feels like a Monty Python sketch. The builders show up and the owner says, "By the way, I know that I ordered a door on the right side of the room here, but I've changed mind. I'd like it on the left side instead."

"Right sir! Not a problem!" says the workman as he begins smashing holes in the right-side wall.

"I say, I just want the doorway on the left side of the room. Is destroying the wall on this right side really necessary?"

"Ah, it most certainly it is, sir", says the workman. "The work order that I have, here, calls for a doorway on the right side of the room, and we must keep to the paperwork!
Not worry though, sir. I'll have this doorway up in a jiffy and torn down and filled in again in just a bit longer. You'll never know it was there.
Then we can get to your change order to place a doorway on the left side of the room. I should be able to get back to do that some time next Tuesday."

splette

Re: Maia Feature Requests for 0.45

Post by splette » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:28 pm

:lol:

Here are my feature requests for the next alphas:

Fix AI before adding more features
Currently it's still rather frustrating to play the game at this stage (yes, I know it's an alpha version). The thing I find most frustrating is the AI of colonists and the imp. They get stuck or just run around randomly, objects never get built and so on. Before adding new features (more animals, rooms or objects) I would suggest to first get the AI fixed.

More info and feedback

Right now it's rather tricky to identify problems with the colony before your colonists drop dead one after the other. It would be super useful for the player to get more feedback from the game about what's currently happening. For example: I see my colonists limping and I have absolutely no idea why. They have beds, a couch, food, water, atmosphere but still they get sick and I don't get to know why. Moving my cursor over the colonist doesn't give me any useful info either. The messages are mostly haikus or other non-relevant stuff that doesn't help identify problems. It would be nice to have some kind of info screen about the needs of the colonists and/or the rooms of the colony, that helps the player to plan and decide what to build next. This info screen could include data on how much food, water, electricity there is and what the rates for producing those are. Maybe some critical info on the colonists: fatigue, health, ... with critical stats highlighted in red. And perhaps there could be info on the individual rooms too, such as quality of the atmosphere. For the workshop there could be more information given, also. Not just what item is being built right now but also what the reason was when the construction of an object was being canceled. Sometimes I have my colonists attempt to construct the same item three times but they pause and cancel each time and I have no clue why. Were they too tired? Were there no materials? Did they cancel because there was a more urgent task to do first (such as fixing a wind turbine of atmosphere generator)?

Building priorities
I understand that the concept of the game is that the player is more of a 'colony manager' and the micromanagement of the tasks is being done by the colonists, not the player himself. I think as a general concept that's fine. But currently I feel there is too little control over the things that are happening in my colony, most importantly the construction of new objects. It would be great if one could pull up the current building queue, as to get an idea of what the colonists are going to build and in what order. Even better would be if the player could manually modify the priorities of that building queue by dragging entries to move them up or down in the list. As a bonus it would be nice if there was a slider to change the priority of different tasks such as construction vs. repairing objects. Sometimes I might really really want the colonists to finish constructing that bed or that solar panel first instead of randomly running around and fixing broken doors.

That's it for now. Looking forward to the next version.

MasterAir

Re: Maia Feature Requests for 0.45

Post by MasterAir » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:07 pm

I had my first go with Maia today. I like the feel of the game.

Can I echo the sentiment that not knowing what your people are up to is frustrating. A hover over => what I'm doing now message would be really good. I think also a list of getting set up objectives with complete/incomplete would be massively useful - especially to new players.
[ ] Workshop
[ ] Workbench
[ ] Electricity
[ ] Water
[ ] Food

Water/food could show supply and consumption and stores
Electricity could show power generated/needed

Am I right in thinking the world only extends in 2 dimensions and you can't build underground?

One nitpick, lots of stuff says it requires a workbench, you build a work table in the workshop (which I think satisfies this requirement). I think one of other of these names needs to be changed for consistency.

I don't know if a tech tree is going to be put in game, or it's a find out in play deal. I'd prefer a tech tree personally, but I know many people think that's heresy.

Keep up the good work.