[Suggestion] 5 Button Construction Mini-Bar

Talk about the game
Woetoo

[Suggestion] 5 Button Construction Mini-Bar

Post by Woetoo » Tue May 24, 2016 7:14 pm

Okay... So I just saw the UI changes planned for 0.56.

I'm a user, so I don't like change. I can rationalise my dislike of change
And if the UI had looked like it currently planned and it was then changed, I'd probably find a reason to dislike that too.

So I dislike the vertically scrolling list of things. Hey ho. I think it makes the keybindings of "q" and "e" a little odd, since they are usually left and right. But again, hey ho.

So I thought I'd reply with an alternative proposal to replace the current system of [x] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] style sub-menus.

A 5 button mini bar

A 5 button mini bar that appears in room and object construction modes.
Fixed at 5 buttons, but with the central one being the "picked" item.
Each of the two buttons to both the left and right are increasingly small (My mockup uses 85% and 70%).
Then to the far left and far right are two direction arrows which are only shown if there are further buttons in that direction to be shown.
Each button has a shortcut number/letter on it.
Whatever item/room is currently located in the central icon, it's item name will appear just below it in large readable text.
It would need to be possible to click-through the buttons/icons. i.e. they should not be interactive.

Ideally, each icon could be unique and would provide a graphical representation of the object/room it places. However, just using the existing room/item icons seems to work too as long as the description is also displayed below it.
(especially since finding different icons for red flare and yellow flare might prove a little tricky).
Despite the problems of creating unique icons for each room/item, I think it would still be worth it. So that the user has an idea of what the icons to the left/right of the central one represent without scrolling to them.

Like the planned vertical scrolling menu currently planned for 0.56 - this route also makes it more obvious that there are more wall placeable items than just the door.

In my example above, only 4 of the 5 buttons are used. The furthest left button (button #1) and the left facing arrow marker are both not shown, because they are not needed.
Scrolling right 1 would make the central button "3" and button #1 would become "1".
Scrolling right 1 again would mean the whole bar looked something like [ <- 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 -> ] (presuming there are items #7, 8, 9 and beyond.

Anyway, I think it fits the existing UI without introducing limitations on the number of items shown in the scrollable list.

Extra points for animating the scrolling of the left/right action including the increasing/decreasing size changes.
Triple extra points for making the number of buttons configurable as 3, 5, 7 or 9. :twisted: