[Suggestion] "Go to event" attached button on emails

Talk about the game
Woetoo

[Suggestion] "Go to event" attached button on emails

Post by Woetoo » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:06 pm

Another long standing idea where it never seemed to be the right time to suggest it.
So throwing into the mix now, before it's too late...

Another of the "the game doesn't give me enough information" is related to emails.
When something significant happens, you get an email telling you so. Obvious case... a colonist dying.
More subtly though are the more generic emails from colonists who just want to tell you something non-specific. Usually something to the effect of "I'm unhappy" or "I'm hungry".

That's great... and frustrating.

Great, because it's feedback from the game world.
Frustrating, because as a player I've no clue where it is happening.

I'd really like to see 2 optional buttons added to emails.
  • Go to event.
  • Go to colonist.
I recognise some emails will need neither, some will need both.

Because it would be really handy for the camera to go directly to a colonist when they send you a mail about something - so you can check on them. Because pressing the "next colonists" button over and over in the hope you find the right person is a bit of a pain.

Likewise, suppose in a future patch you get an email saying your perimeter guns have just killed a beastie. How good would it be if there were a button at the bottom of the email to take you directly there?

It would also help with one of my minor annoyances within the game. A cave-in happens, the game immediately interrupts me no matter what I'm doing to watch the cave-in happening. Yes, it's pretty. Yes, it's a shame for it to happen and nobody see it... But I was doing something, and the game broke my immersion to show it me. Much better would be an alert email, that I can click on at my leisure which shows me the collapsed area. I'm sure there are numerous other potential examples.

Sorry to keep trying to add to the list of things to do. And I wholeheartedly agree with the need to prioritise bug fixes. But it's these little touches that will take the game beyond merely "working" or "functional" and on to "great". I know, it's a rock and hard place. Keep adding stuff and risk never releasing it, or release it with these sort of things missing and have users feel a disconnect between their needs and what the game has.