Dwarf Fortress

Talk about other games
Zerkuron

Re: Dwarf Fortress

Post by Zerkuron » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:31 pm

Interesting,

so from an abstract point both, a simulation and a game have in common that, they are a set of rules regulating Endo- and Exoterm variables, but the Diffenrence is in a game exist a favoured outcome (defined by goals) and in a simulation all outcomes are equally accepted?

This is a tough one ... You may brought something up in my mind I not have thought about yet.

Ortwin

Post by Ortwin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:47 pm

I agree with the comments about the horrible UI and the non-intuitive control scheme.
Difficulty in the game is good, but one should not have to wrestle with the UI for the most simplest of tasks.
It serves no purpose if I try to explain the same thing all over again, others already did that.

DF is the mammoth of the indie game world, in terms of size, reputation, and age.
Grand, majestic, a true challenge, but also horrible un-adaptive and unable to thrive and flourish.
It will also go the way of the mammoth...

DF is one of the ancestors of the 'age of indie games', I'll always remember the good things it gave us. And I'll bury it with dignity.

selbie

Post by selbie » Sun May 19, 2013 1:37 pm

Saw this and was reminded of an interview Giantbomb did with the DF guys....in Iceland...at an EVE Online convention :P
http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/the-min ... 2300-7340/