FTL

Talk about other games
Kregoth

Re: FTL

Post by Kregoth » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:56 pm

I have sunk so many hours into this game it's been great, beat it on both normal and easy. I am excited to see what the plans are for expanding the game, because I see a lot of untapped potential to expand this type of gameplay beyond combat. I am hoping for some expansions and/or an FTL 2 :)

DerRidda

Post by DerRidda » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:48 pm

One might think that Subset Games have their pockets full of change right now. Their Kickstarter exploded and reached USD 200k and the release sales seem to have been extremely well. This game was practically profitable before it even launched and then kicked the ball out of the park. It's certainly not a Minecraft but definitely a huge success for an indie game.

Ortwin

Post by Ortwin » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:36 am

Kregoth wrote:I have sunk so many hours into this game it's been great, beat it on both normal and easy. I am excited to see what the plans are for expanding the game, because I see a lot of untapped potential to expand this type of gameplay beyond combat. I am hoping for some expansions and/or an FTL 2 :)
Completely agree, I hope we get a 'FTL 1.5' :).

Imagine what this game could be if they made the [s]world[/s] universe open and added a decent random mission generor. Perhaps a dozen pre-scripted larger story lines for you to encounter.
With a larger world they could also define safer sectors in which you could focus on research missions (equip your ship with scanners in stead of guns), with a simple diplomatic system -YOU- could be the ship that starts and/or ends wars etc.

Most elements are already there:
- the random missions (just add MORE),
- a larger open world (sectors are still randomly generated, saving them shouldn't cost that much space, a few simple coordinates plus a few 'hard' locations in every system for shops/anomalies, and a single variable that denotes if the entire sector is hostile/neutral/friendly (effects the chance to encounter goodies/baddies))
- already have a story line, just make this line a branch of a larger tree
- add MORE weapons/scanners

DerRidda

Post by DerRidda » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:18 pm

A run without Drones: Teleporting in to the secluded rocket weapon room, first killing the operator (which doesn't respawn) and then wrecking the only real dangerous weapon the final boss has.
That plus insta-charged breach bombs to wreck his shields.

And I never get that damn Engi quest that nets you the Stealth Cruiser. :/

Fenrakk101

Post by Fenrakk101 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:22 am

I nearly beat him, but there were no damn shops on the last level and I couldn't repair my ship at all - so I basically just died due to the game kind of screwing me on the last sector.

I was using the second Kestral layout, and I believe I was using a Hull Laser that fired two shots and the other three weapons were the basic ones (Again, the game screwing me over by not giving me any opportunity to get a burst laser or anything). I basically got to the third phase by just firing all five weapons at the same time and just praying one of them would make it through and damage the weapons (which was very, very, very uncommon). My strategy was basically not to take out the hull points, but to kill the soldiers they had manning the guns. It worked for the most part, but again, the game absolutely screwed me over in the last sector - and the run had been going so well!

I really wish there would be some way to upgrade your maximum Hull, just so you can tank more shots. It would be so useful in so many situations.
I'm good at whatever I apply myself to, I'm just not good at applying myself.

ikachan

Post by ikachan » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:10 am

DerRidda wrote:Frakk yeah!
Had my first victorious run today ( on normal of course ) with the Kestrel Cruiser. Mostly relied on paired burst lasers + Defense Drone MKII. This together with the Pre-Igniter really pummeled the final boss.
Then I immediately made a second run with the newly unlocked Federation Cruiser which was also successful, again with Defense Drone MKII. I really can't think of a way to reliably do this without Drones atm.
High evasion only gets you so far but I haven't had any good boarding or stealth builds yet.
Stealth can be quite useful if you use it well. Here's how I used it to beat the final boss ages ago.
My tactic was to have max shields and max cloaking. I had an Artimis, 2 Burst Laser II's and a Heavy Laser I and 2 defense mark I's. I was using the Kestrel Cruiser and had 6 crew members.
When I start to get close to the final boss I try not to use missiles on regular enemies so I don't run out on the boss. When I meet the boss for the first time I waited until all my weapons were charged and then I fired then all at once aiming at his shield generator. My shields alone were enough to protect against his guns except the triple missile launcher which was stopped by my defense drones. When he fired his triple missile shot I would go into cloaking in case my drones don't stop all the missiles. Soon enough he would be damaged and would leave.
The 2nd time I encountered him I used the same tactic where I fire all my weapons at once to get through his shields. With my defense drones protecting from the missiles and boarding drones then damage was lessened, however his other guns combined with the millions of enemy's attack drones would eventually get through my shields.The boss has power surges which allow it to have lots of drones despite the drone control being down. When my shields were completely down I went into cloaking which gave me enough time to get the shields active again. By the time they destroy my shields again my cloaking was about charged again. Eventually I'm able to destroy him with the firing tactic.
Now the 3rd time I encounter him he used his teleporter to beam aboard my ship but I had extra crew members and I fought in the med-bay so I was able to dispatch their crew. When the power surge occurred and they fired lots of shots I went into cloaking. They had 2 people left on their ship and they were in the weapon rooms and were unable to fix the shield generator so once their shields were down I opened fire and that finished it off very quickly.
So in short if you fire in volleys and using cloaking at the correct time then it will help a lot.

Fleug

Post by Fleug » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:19 am

Completed it with every ship and every lay-out, took me around 80 hours :D This game is really great, I know Subset Games said they don't want to do a sequel and that they want to focus on a on new game that might involve some elements of FTL, but I really wish they'd make a FTL2 someday!
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueFleugSpirit
French YouTuber / Indie Games lover

Harrod200

Post by Harrod200 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:11 pm

Better to quit while you're ahead than drag down a well executed IP with substandard sequels IMO.