KSP (Kerbal Space Program)

Talk about other games
oldmanbob

Re: KSP (Kerbal Space Program)

Post by oldmanbob » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:31 pm

This is reminding me I need to play KSP more...

I have only like the basic stuff unlocked in career mode so far. But I like the idea of it quite a lot.
Chris - Tech Support drone and bughunter

Contact me: chris [at] maiagame.com Twitter

randommonicle

Post by randommonicle » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:19 pm

as was said simon i needed the batteries as i had no solar panels yet, and those small engines i was using dont generate power when in use :)
Burn with me

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:19 am

Remember that huge orange tank and nuclear engines I added to my space station?

I flew the whole of it to Duna and got it in a nice circular orbit. :D
ToDuna.jpg

randommonicle

Post by randommonicle » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:45 pm

That must of taken some doing. :P

limitlimitlimit
Burn with me

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:42 pm

Yeah, the main problem getting there was a 28 minute burn to get my intercept. I ended up burning a lot of my RCS fuel to speed it up out of boredom.

Assembly around Kerbin was a bit of a kicker too. The pieces would rotate when using the RCS so getting a clean contact with the ports was a pain.

randommonicle

Post by randommonicle » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:15 pm

It is difficult. but that sense of achievment with KSP is pretty immense. I was pouring hours in to it at one point with the new career system. Just to unlock that next part i really needed :P
Burn with me

Ortwin

Post by Ortwin » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:34 pm

Back from never really gone: MAPPING!

SCANsat, a very lightweight plugin that can map all planets and moons, altitude, slope, biomes, anomalies.
It even has fancy ground track functionality.

AND: you can map with multiple vessels at the same time...

Get it here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/thr ... in-mapping

PS, if you remember the old ISA Mapsat plugin, SCANsat currently beats Mapsat on all fronts: performance, usability and features.

BradCruz

Post by BradCruz » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:45 am

randommonicle wrote:as was said simon i needed the batteries as i had no solar panel yet, and those small engines i was using dont generate power when in use :)
Which batteries have you used? I am in similar situation and need some extra batteries.. Can you share some more information about this? Waiting for reply thanks in advance:)

randommonicle

Post by randommonicle » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:42 am

BradCruz wrote:
randommonicle wrote:as was said simon i needed the batteries as i had no solar panel yet, and those small engines i was using dont generate power when in use :)
Which batteries have you used? I am in similar situation and need some extra batteries.. Can you share some more information about this? Waiting for reply thanks in advance:)
Hey there bud was literally just the first battery pack you unlock. Covered the ship with them. I found an easier way to generate science is to use unmanned landers untill you can unlock the cool stuff :)
Burn with me

MarcFields

Post by MarcFields » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:42 am

Ortwin wrote:Someone had to do it: a KSP thread.

This topic has been briefly touched in the introduction thread, with Simon commenting:
SimoRoth wrote: I can't buy this game. If I did Maia would slip back about 14 months in development!

UPDATE: KSP is now availeble on Steam (here) (Windows, OSX or Linux!)
The demo has also been updated and is now on near-par with the full game.

It's about Rockets! Design/build them, and attempt to get them into orbit! Or land on one of the 4 other planets, or one of the many moons..
Or build your own Space Station, or a base! Anything!
The game uses an accurate (though slightly simplyfied) representation of a solar system in which you are free to launch rockets of any design.

Kerbals are an Alien race that recently discovered their place in a larger solar system, they are now highly motivated to conquer the Unknown. You are the director, designer, and pilot for their Aero-space program.

The game is still in early development (for example: there is no atmospheric-drag->heat system yet, you can plunge a bus-sized module through any atmosphere without it burning up).
There is no story line/career mode yet, for now its a huge sandbox rocket sim with infinite funds/parts.

The modding possibilities are huge, you can create custom parts, gauges, even entire game mechanics.
The original game does not have any life-support functionality, so someone created a life-support plugin. Plugins can all tie into each other easily so half a dozen others have created compatible tanks/
solar panel to store/refresh the life-support system.
There is a large active community that shares designs, accomplisments, challenges etc..

[s]There is a free demo (v 0.13), it does not have a persistant game world yet (so you can only have 1 active mission at the time), and there is only 1 moon.
The (as of writing) most recent (paid) version (0.17) has EVA's, 4 more planets (with moons), more (and better balanced) parts, and loads of other improvements/additions.[/s]

edit: Demo is now version 18.3, full version 19.1

http://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com

PS Sorry if the above sounds like an ad, but this is currently my #1 favorite game.

edit & PPS:

I'm toying with a mapping plugin, and I found this monument:
Spoiler: show

PPPS Can someone please tell me how to hide/spoiler things on this forum?
Plenty of useless space programs are launched by many countries.. It is waste of money and it must be utilized to provide better living conditions on Earth.