Ask for help with running the game.
Ghiran

GPU required?

Post by Ghiran » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:11 pm

Code: Select all

$ sudo ./RunMaia
Game Started
Loading Config settings
Could not initialise video. Are you running the latest drivers for your GPU? Do you even have a GPU?! YOU CANT HANDLE THE GPU!
SDL Error: No available video device
*Sniff*
It's TRUE, OKAY?! My puny Kubuntu Acer Aspire 5750 (specs) has no GPU! I thought that since it could run Human Revolution and all of Valve's games, I'd be OK! You know: turn down the graphics, switch off anti-aliasing, lower the resolution, all that stuff. But no, it's inadequate to contain the awesomeness of Maia, even in its nascent form.

Seriously: Is a GPU absolutely required to play Maia, or is this some other thing?
Last edited by Ghiran on Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DerRidda

Re: GPU required?

Post by DerRidda » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:10 am

First: Why the butts are you running Maia as root?

And for your question: I think the Intel drivers don't support the version of OpenGL that Maia requires, yet.
There is supposed to be a slightly less demanding build coming sooner or later which you might be able to run.

Ghiran

Post by Ghiran » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:34 am

DerRidda wrote:First: Why the butts are you running Maia as root?
The readme file told me to.

Code: Select all

The game requires write permission. This means that you will need to run it from somewhere you have write access, such as your desktop or user documents. 

Failing that, you can run the game with administrator privileges. This won't be the case for the final game, which will have a standard install.
It was in ~/Downloads anyway, but I wanted to be sure that that wasn't causing it somehow.
DerRidda wrote:And for your question: I think the Intel drivers don't support the version of OpenGL that Maia requires, yet. There is supposed to be a slightly less demanding build coming sooner or later which you might be able to run.
Oh, Intel and OpenGL. Yeah, that's been a thorn inWarzone 2100 's side for ages.

DerRidda

Post by DerRidda » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:53 am

Dear Simon, if you ever read this "Failing that, you can run the game with administrator privileges. This won't be the case for the final game, which will have a standard install." has totally got to go.
The readme part about thatshould end at "The game requires write permission. This means that you will need to run it from somewhere you have write access, such as your desktop or user documents."
And at tops include "If you don't have any such directory... how do you even computer?!"

To Ghiran: It still might be worth considering new hardware if you can at all afford it. I know that's the worst suggestion but gaming on Linux simply means Nvidia graphics,
Here is something you might find useful: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/193 ... sts/618338

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:50 pm

DerRidda wrote:Dear Simon, if you ever read this "Failing that, you can run the game with administrator privileges. This won't be the case for the final game, which will have a standard install." has totally got to go.
The readme part about thatshould end at "The game requires write permission. This means that you will need to run it from somewhere you have write access, such as your desktop or user documents."
And at tops include "If you don't have any such directory... how do you even computer?!"

To Ghiran: It still might be worth considering new hardware if you can at all afford it. I know that's the worst suggestion but gaming on Linux simply means Nvidia graphics,
Here is something you might find useful: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/193 ... sts/618338
You'd be surprised as to how many people DIDNT have write access to their own desktop... I don't even.

As for that error. It seems the game can't even find your GPU, but you DO have one. Definitely a driver issue, are there alternative Linux drivers for Intel graphics?

Ghiran

Post by Ghiran » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:50 pm

SimoRoth wrote:
DerRidda wrote:Dear Simon, if you ever read this "Failing that, you can run the game with administrator privileges. This won't be the case for the final game, which will have a standard install." has totally got to go.

You'd be surprised as to how many people DIDNT have write access to their own desktop... I don't even.

As for that error. It seems the game can't even find your GPU, but you DO have one. Definitely a driver issue, are there alternative Linux drivers for Intel graphics?
I did install the Intel Graphics Installer, which is meant to replace the distribution's drivers with its own, but that didn't work. Not much else I can do, I guess.