Maia surface suit texture

Discussion of Maia's on going development, including modding.
SimoRoth
Site Admin

Maia surface suit texture

Post by SimoRoth » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:57 pm

Kris has polished up the Standard and worn textures for the suit.

Battle damage/bloodied textures will come later.
NewSuit.jpg

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Re: Maia surface suit texture

Post by SimoRoth » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:21 pm

damage.JPG
Real time shot.

KrisHammes

Post by KrisHammes » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:58 pm

Hello World!

This is Kris (Honestly Simon it really is ill confirm it on Skype). I just wanted to say hello, give my hugest thanks to all our backers, fans and generally awesome followers.

I hope you like the work ill be producing for you guys over the coming months, ill do my uttermost to make you lot proud.

Cheesy as it sounds I wouldn't have this opportunity without you so thanks again

Kris

p.s you can catch some of the assets that dont make it to the forums on my portfolio site ..
http://maio.carbonmade.com/projects/4468661

Studdart

Post by Studdart » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:08 am

very nice, I really like the retro sci-fi look thats come through completely (to me anyway) with the choice of colours and material used.

My only comment is the red dirt, makes it look like they've been walking on the surface of the Mars (the one Nasa likes us to have, not the real Mars).
I would of thought with wear and tear maybe it would of gone nicotine yellow, like an old Commodore 64.
I'll get my coat...

b0rsuk

Post by b0rsuk » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:30 am

The colors are fairly realistic I assume, but it does look washed out. Could they at least come in several colors, so colonists can be distinguished by them ? I hope there's a middle ground between monochrome and peacock style. Maybe gloves or knee protectors could have a different color. Or at least an unique number printed on the front side of each suit.

I know !@ I know ! Each suit will have lights of different color. The engine can cope with it and it's been established Simon loves to show off lights ! Half of each video he releases is playing with lights.

If players will be able to make their own textures, then this is a non-issue.

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:42 pm

b0rsuk wrote:The colors are fairly realistic I assume, but it does look washed out. Could they at least come in several colors, so colonists can be distinguished by them ? I hope there's a middle ground between monochrome and peacock style. Maybe gloves or knee protectors could have a different color. Or at least an unique number printed on the front side of each suit.

I know !@ I know ! Each suit will have lights of different color. The engine can cope with it and it's been established Simon loves to show off lights ! Half of each video he releases is playing with lights.

If players will be able to make their own textures, then this is a non-issue.
Light mounts is certinaly something I am looking at. If you look at the hydroponics concept (the very blue one) the guy has a shoulder lamp.

Also yeah all the textures are just TGA files so anyone can mod them.

Shep

Post by Shep » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:12 pm

Yeah as b0rsuk said, a little more color might be nice, but one should wait until seeing a bit more of the other art assets and style of the game before making too much of a judgment. I do like the model though!

b0rsuk

Post by b0rsuk » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:52 am

Why is a suit needed in first place ? Wouldn't an oxygen tank and a mask be enough ? The planet has life, quite possibly a decent temperature. People climbing K2 or Kilimanjaro don't need a hermetic suit.

Meneth

Post by Meneth » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:52 am

b0rsuk wrote:Why is a suit needed in first place ? Wouldn't an oxygen tank and a mask be enough ? The planet has life, quite possibly a decent temperature. People climbing K2 or Kilimanjaro don't need a hermetic suit.
Even though it has life, that doesn't mean the atmosphere is safe to human skin. It could be acidic or basic with the local life being adapted to it. Or there could be insects or similar that make going outside without a suit deadly.
And of course, a suit provides some protection against dangerous wildlife.

b0rsuk

Post by b0rsuk » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:36 pm

In this case I demand a horrible death animation and/or terrifying disease for people exposed to the environment for too long :-).