Day/Night keyframing system

Discussion of Maia's on going development, including modding.
SimoRoth
Site Admin

Day/Night keyframing system

Post by SimoRoth » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:01 am

Set up a day/night keyframing system. This will let me/modders set all the world variables for different times during the day/night cycle from an easy to use XML file.

Here's a solar storm in the morning.
solarStorm11.jpg

Studdart

Re: Day/Night keyframing system

Post by Studdart » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:12 pm

I love the smell of solar flare in the morning... smells like development.

Nice to see that you're allowing modding futher down the line, great news, although it probably has been mentioned elsewhere.
I'll get my coat...

PlasmaDavid

Post by PlasmaDavid » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:27 am

Gorgeous!

Are you going to have cloud shadows?

What about a moon-rise at night? (assuming the world has a moon) It'd be great to have critters being extra nasty when it's darkest at night, then it gets a little lighter when the moon comes up.
Send in more planes!

randommonicle

Post by randommonicle » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:24 am

Looking fantabulous :) in relation to the moon question asked above, and the idea of critters being a bit more nasty at night, is there going to be a lunar cycle? Perhaps we can have full moon syndrome? :P
Burn with me

PlasmaDavid

Post by PlasmaDavid » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:37 am

randommonicle wrote:Looking fantabulous :) in relation to the moon question asked above, and the idea of critters being a bit more nasty at night, is there going to be a lunar cycle? Perhaps we can have full moon syndrome? :P
That'd be an excellent way to "time" periods of extra hostile activity. The player knows that the aliens are more active during full or new moon, so they can prepare themselves for it. At the same time, it's not just a generic timer sort of thing.
Send in more planes!

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:20 pm

Are you going to have cloud shadows?
Yes! We already had that in the Kickstarter videos.
PlasmaDavid wrote:
randommonicle wrote:Looking fantabulous :) in relation to the moon question asked above, and the idea of critters being a bit more nasty at night, is there going to be a lunar cycle? Perhaps we can have full moon syndrome? :P
That'd be an excellent way to "time" periods of extra hostile activity. The player knows that the aliens are more active during full or new moon, so they can prepare themselves for it. At the same time, it's not just a generic timer sort of thing.
Yep. All the light, fog etc, all feeds back into the simulation. :D

Video update coming in 33 mins.

Fleug

Post by Fleug » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:52 pm

Oh a new video, I can't wait to see this! This solar storm looks great!

EDIT : Just saw it, the shadows look amazing, this is awesome. These are definitely AAA graphics. Good job!
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueFleugSpirit
French YouTuber / Indie Games lover

PlasmaDavid

Post by PlasmaDavid » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:10 am

Hot damn, that planet surface is already giving me chills! Hostile and creepy, yet it must be conquered!

Not sure on the flashes on the planetary view though, that's one hell of a meteor storm. Not going to add any tiny streaks/twinkles for meteors burning up in the atmosphere? IMO that'd be a better way to present a planet constantly under bombardment, then volumetric light currently used looks weird. (I know I know, it's early days!)
Send in more planes!

Mudder

Post by Mudder » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:19 pm

Is it possible to light up our base too? Some up-lighter in our control room could increase the satisfaction of our citizens?!

mrtilley

Post by mrtilley » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:20 pm

Personally, I always like the shots of the planet during the daytime. The different flora and rock formations are awesome, and do look quite alien and somewhat creepy, like PlasmaDavid mentioned.

Do you think you're going to put in some sort of "commonality of solar storms/meteor strikes" option in the world gen for starting a new game? Sort of like the Events Frequency in Dwarf Fortress, or how common random events are in Civ 4 mods like Fall From Heaven?