Super capacitor energy storage WIP

Discussion of Maia's on going development, including modding.
FracturedGoat

Re: Super capacitor energy storage WIP

Post by FracturedGoat » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:27 pm

With the power sources only usable at certain times and the capacitors not holding very much, I'm wondering how the power economy works. It seems like in that case, you can't really keep everything on all the time.

I'm imagining some sort of "Peak Load" concept where the capacitors are used to keep the low-power stuff (like the lights and oxygen) on at night and you use the power-hungry crafting machines only when it's day out and your solar panels can give you the power you need. Much like how power grids account for load today.

I'm also wondering about a biofuel-based energy plant. Basically something you chuck your excess food, dead native fauna and uprooted native flora into and get power. Probably wouldn't be very efficient, but sometimes you just really need that excess power at off-peak times, or maybe you just have a ton of excess food. All you need is to prevent it from filling your base with carbon monoxide.

GMAN

Post by GMAN » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:48 am

These things look great. I especially like the lens flares you see on screen from the lights in game. As for the biofuel FracturedGoat mentioned, It reminds me of Mr. Fusion from Back to the Future!

Studdart

Post by Studdart » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:06 am

This has raised a question in my mind Simon.

Are you going to be able to set hot spots, so pressing CTRL+F1 or something at the Energy Capacitors would set a hot spot, so that anytime that I press F1 it would shoot my screen back to the Energy Capacitors, so that when I get a large base or colony, or something just goes totally pete tong while I'm out in the wilderness, wondering what that big pool of black gunk is that just killed Natasha is, I can quickly and easily find out the status of my base?
FracturedGoat wrote: I'm also wondering about a biofuel-based energy plant. Basically something you chuck your excess food, dead native fauna and uprooted native flora into and get power. Probably wouldn't be very efficient, but sometimes you just really need that excess power at off-peak times, or maybe you just have a ton of excess food. All you need is to prevent it from filling your base with carbon monoxide.
abit like the Recycler in Startopia, I spent all my down time in that game collecting rubbish and throwing it in that
I'll get my coat...

Harrod200

Post by Harrod200 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:02 pm

Studdart wrote:Are you going to be able to set hot spots, so pressing CTRL+F1 or something at the Energy Capacitors would set a hot spot, so that anytime that I press F1 it would shoot my screen back to the Energy Capacitors
This plz :)

PlasmaDavid

Post by PlasmaDavid » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:29 am

They look great! I'd add on some cables, plug ports and grilles on them to make em look a little more interesting/techy.
Send in more planes!

Post by AvatarIII » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:07 pm

SimoRoth wrote:
Mark wrote:Simon, another +1 in the quest to keep the UI unclutered. Well done & the Caps look great.
Are these Caps going to suffer from any sort of 'dielectric leakage' and slowly drain even when they are in a standby state?
Potentially. I'll have to see how it affects gameplay, at the moment they will drain rather fast anyway. They wont hold much energy compared to the amount things in your base use.
As long as it's enough to run life support, and of course a "power failure" tannoy, and some flashing red lights

Ortwin

Post by Ortwin » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:04 pm

Very nice!
May I suggest another form of energy storage?

Flywheels with magnetic bearings!
Capacitors are known to be extremely limited, even super capacitors will be lucky to even approach the energy density of current day batteries.

Flywheels already have a similar J/kg energy capacity ratio to current batteries, if we would use high-tech materials to make them we can pump up their velocity and increase their capacity even more (bigger and faster is better, until the point the material ruptures apart from stresses :P).
A single flywheel with a diameter of 2 meters, and 0.3 m wide can easily store 2500 MJ of energy, and it can turn 90% of that into usable electrical power (some gets lost in the kinetic -> electric transfer).

These might be a good alternative energy storage system, perhaps for higher capacities? (Though a flywheel can not charge/deplete as quickly as capacitors can do, so you'd still need capacitors to compensate for spikes and dips.)
And things can go horrible wrong! If critters manage to break the bearings you have a X-tons metal wheel flying about!
They can function in any atmosphere, but corrosion might destabilize the wheel (-> which would break the bearing).

Having different options for energy storage with different properties offers more tactical options. Hope you like the idea and will implement it (in some form, at some time, no hurry :D)

PlasmaDavid

Post by PlasmaDavid » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:15 am

^ Hah, that's a really cool idea. And it always helps sci-fi to take real life, lesser known or non-cliched concepts like that and use them. So if current flywheels are that good, imagine them in the interstellar future, near frictionless bearings! And they'd look damned cool, as well as being dangerous :D
Send in more planes!

Post by AvatarIII » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:12 am

Flywheels could be a good option for if you have a lot of space perhaps, whereas the super-capacitors would be more compact, a flywheel might take up a massive area, but have a lower chance of failure, and have better storage than the same area packed with capacitors.

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:57 pm

That and it solves the major game-play problem of how do the lady colonists keep their nails tidy on the planet???
A 2 meter tall spinning nail file of death, with just add a bit of 1000 grit paper on the outside of the flywheel should do the job.

SOLVED.

Nice work colonists, moving right along........ :-)

I had another Solution without a problem around here somewhere........ now where to post it?????
[img]http://burninglegion.org/forum/download ... ig.png/img]

^^^^^Please turn BBcode ON in signatures^^^^^