Infotips

Discussion of Maia's on going development, including modding.
Tikigod

Re: Infotips

Post by Tikigod » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:51 am

SimoRoth wrote:Bit of test text: http://i.imgur.com/EP9lqiK.jpg
Handy.

I know it was mentioned that the item name/output information is typed out, but what kind of delay between the item name, and the expanded description are you looking at there?

A few seconds and then the entire description text just appears as a chunk?

Or does the description text type itself out at a certain rate rather than just appear as a chunk of text if you leave your mouse in one place by mistake for too long?

Each has it's up and down sides, but that is certainly a decently sized chunk of description text there to make typing it out potentially tedious as you get more into the game... at the same time having such a large amount of text just appear all at once could also be equally annoying. :roll:
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent - Isaac Asimov

My channel. Game recordings & old 3D art assets I've made.

StfN

Post by StfN » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:13 am

I would assume/suggest that that would be an extended info text that you get if you mouse-hover over an item while holding a modifier key like Alt or Shift.
Windows 7 64-bit
Intel Core i7 4770K (4.0 GHz)
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770, 4GB

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:36 am

Tikigod wrote:
SimoRoth wrote:Bit of test text: http://i.imgur.com/EP9lqiK.jpg
Handy.

I know it was mentioned that the item name/output information is typed out, but what kind of delay between the item name, and the expanded description are you looking at there?

A few seconds and then the entire description text just appears as a chunk?

Or does the description text type itself out at a certain rate rather than just appear as a chunk of text if you leave your mouse in one place by mistake for too long?

Each has it's up and down sides, but that is certainly a decently sized chunk of description text there to make typing it out potentially tedious as you get more into the game... at the same time having such a large amount of text just appear all at once could also be equally annoying. :roll:
It types out the first lines of name and info quickly. The larger text block types out quickly once youve mouseovered for about a second. It's at the sweet spot between those two tradeoffs.

b0rsuk

Post by b0rsuk » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:14 pm

About the longer text - I understand interlacing is part of the 70's style, but it doesn't look good on text. At least not in this iteration. I get an impression it would cause eyestrain pretty quickly. Interlacing on images, graphs, schematics - sure.

As for typing the text, there's a nice commandline program for Linux which does just that - randtype. You could play around with it for inspiration, look into source code, etc. Example usage:

Code: Select all

randtype -m 4 -t 13,16000
Type a sentence or two
press CTRL-d
-m determines error frequency
-t is controls typing speed
When in doubt,

man randtype

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:21 pm

b0rsuk wrote:About the longer text - I understand interlacing is part of the 70's style, but it doesn't look good on text. At least not in this iteration. I get an impression it would cause eyestrain pretty quickly. Interlacing on images, graphs, schematics - sure.

As for typing the text, there's a nice commandline program for Linux which does just that - randtype. You could play around with it for inspiration, look into source code, etc. Example usage:

randtype -m 4 -t 13,16000
Type a sentence or two
press CTRL-d
-m determines error frequency
-t is controls typing speed
When in doubt,

man randtype
It looks very different in game. Low res jpeggy screens don't really do it justice.

Still needs some work for on brighter backgrounds though, as it becomes hard to read around midday in sunlight.

Tikigod

Post by Tikigod » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:55 pm

SimoRoth wrote:
It types out the first lines of name and info quickly. The larger text block types out quickly once you've moused over for about a second. It's at the sweet spot between those two trade offs.
Nice.

Certainly jumping the gun with this question as it's something for more late development polish, but any thoughts on having in-game option support that will allow the player to pick between typed out text and instant lumping of text, just to add a little personal preference touch?
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent - Isaac Asimov

My channel. Game recordings & old 3D art assets I've made.