Linux engine test

Discussion of Maia's on going development, including modding.
StfN

Re: Linux engine test

Post by StfN » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:33 pm

SimoRoth wrote:Thanks for all the data this is great to have.

Those failing to get the mouse clicks to work. Are you using the latest binary? Eg the one attached to the first post rather than the one bundled with the resources?
Yes, I downloaded the binary from the attachment about 5 hours ago, so unless there was a newer version since then, I'm using the latest version. It did work on my first test, just not since. Is it possible it just takes really long for the game to start after clicking on the start screen? Maybe I killed the process before it got to that. I did give it a few minutes though.
Windows 7 64-bit
Intel Core i7 4770K (4.0 GHz)
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770, 4GB

StfN

Post by StfN » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:00 am

liamdawe wrote:Well it's not just me who can't get it to register mouse clicks to get in then, at least I know i'm not alone heh
We're both using the same version of SDL2, and we both have the same problem. Maybe there's a connection? I'll give building SDL myself and trying to run it with that another try.
Windows 7 64-bit
16 GB RAM

vanatteveldt

Post by vanatteveldt » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:41 am

SimoRoth wrote: Thanks. Although it sounds bad this is the kind of stuff I need to hear about. What are the specs of your machine?

Did it feel like it was the GPU fan or the PC fan?
OK. I'm not on my proper computer now, so as soon as I'm back I'll give you the specs. I'll also try to run it in lower resolution, that should probably help the responsiveness.

Thanks for replying!

Leiaz

Post by Leiaz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:53 am

StfN wrote:We're both using the same version of SDL2, and we both have the same problem. Maybe there's a connection? I'll give building SDL myself and trying to run it with that another try.
I just tried with the lib in that deb and this seems to be the problem.
For previous results, the lib was built from the SDL2 mercurial.
StfN wrote:I did copy the files the SDL build generated from /usr/local/lib to /usr/lib
Usually you never copy files manually to /usr/lib. Your package manager manages the files there. By convention things you build manually (and don't make a package for) go in /usr/local. If you want all programs to look there for libraries, you add /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig. In this case, as it is just Maia using SDL2, you can also keep the libs in a directory in your home and run Maia with LD_LIBRARY_PATH=path_to_your_libs ./MaiaLinux That way you can easily keep and try different builds of SDL or other libs (without crushing anything on the system, though it doesn't apply here :D).

StfN

Post by StfN » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:34 am

Leiaz wrote:Usually you never copy files manually to /usr/lib. Your package manager manages the files there. By convention things you build manually (and don't make a package for) go in /usr/local. If you want all programs to look there for libraries, you add /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig. In this case, as it is just Maia using SDL2, you can also keep the libs in a directory in your home and run Maia with LD_LIBRARY_PATH=path_to_your_libs ./MaiaLinux That way you can easily keep and try different builds of SDL or other libs (without crushing anything on the system, though it doesn't apply here :D).
I tried, but... I still can't manage. Added "include /usr/local/lib" to /etc/ld.so.conf, didn't work. Undid that and ran "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib ./MaiaLinux", didn't work, neither did copying everything from /usr/local/lib to a directory in home and trying with that. I tried both the snapshot from "http://www.libsdl.org/hg.php" and cloning from "http://hg.libsdl.org/SDL".
Maybe by this point my previous attempts already broke something in my system. So, even running the risk to seem like a complete idiot, could you just run me through step by step please, how to download and build SDL, and how to get Maia to run off it. In the meantime I'll reinstall Linux once more, to rule out me having broken it.
Windows 7 64-bit
16 GB RAM

Leiaz

Post by Leiaz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:06 pm

I don't think you broke it because the name is SDL2, so even if you had installed it to /usr/lib it wouldn't have replaced the old SDL libSDL.so symlink.

First clone it :

Code: Select all

hg clone http://hg.libsdl.org/SDL
Then go and build it:

cd SDL
mkdir build
cd build
../configure --prefix=/home/leiaz/sdl2_builds/30032013
After prefix is where make install will install the files. You can give it any name you want, i use the date I built it because otherwise I would give stupid names like build1, build_old, build_previous and forget which is which :D

make 
make install
Then you cd to the directory where Maialinux is and :

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/sdl2_builds/30032013/lib  ./MaiaLinux

StfN

Post by StfN » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:32 pm

Ah, I didn't know about the "--prefix" option in configure. Anyways, I tried it, didn't work, neither did the snapshot version, Maia refuses to give me more than:

No game pad found.
Problem with joystick/gamepad.
Segmentation fault
I guess this is where I admit defeat and stop spamming this thread; I'll just wait for the Windows version. :|
Thanks to everyone who tried to help.
Windows 7 64-bit
16 GB RAM

GMAN

Post by GMAN » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:12 pm

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.2GHz 8 Cores
RAM: 16GB DDR3-2133
Video: 2x AMD Radeon HD 7750 Crossfire (1GB RAM Each, OpenGL 4.2),
2x 1920x1080p 23" monitors

Linux Mint 14 Kernel 3.5.0-17-generic (x86-64)

GCC 4.7.2
SDL 2.0 (compiled with -mtune=bdver2 and -march=bdver2 for FX-8350)
GLEW 1.9.0
AMD 13.3 Beta Drivers

Maia Linux Test 4, latest forum binary

Game window loads, planet and meteors appear.
Menu is a bunch of black squares.
J and K keys are swapped

6-15 FPS with 16x AF and 16x AA, 13-30 FPS with "use game settings", 1920x1080x32@60 for both

CPU usage is about 8% constant on slow speed, 24% on fast with lots of objects and lights
memory usage is 295-350 MB

game is supposed to be grainy, right?

Segmentation fault occurred 3 times after hitting 'L' a bunch of times.
Does it make a log we can upload?

shadows of plants outside look very jagged and square. Shadow or stencil buffer? Maybe it's just the crappy AMD drivers on Linux.

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Thanks for the posts. Currently away at the moment but will fix and address peoples posts tommorrow night.

liamdawe

Post by liamdawe » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:49 pm

SimoRoth wrote:Thanks for the posts. Currently away at the moment but will fix and address peoples posts tommorrow night.
If you can fix the no menu appearing so I can get in game and test I can then give you more feedback :)