Linux engine test

Discussion of Maia's on going development, including modding.
SimoRoth
Site Admin

Re: Linux engine test

Post by SimoRoth » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:29 pm

Knumskull wrote:- Working in windowed (1024*768)
- FPS oscillating between 20 and 15 fps.
- CPU Usage 20% on a core I5 M450 @2.4ghz

- Lighting is behaving strangely http://i.imgur.com/4xOge7s.jpg
Hah yeah. That's by design. A limit put in so people don't brick their GPU's by placing hundreds of lights on top of each other in Debug mode. Can't happen in the game due to proper collision meshes.

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:33 pm

StfN wrote:So, I spent the last few hours trying to get the program to start, but no matter what I do with SDL, I always end up with the following:
No game pad found.
Problem with joystick/gamepad.
Segmentation fault

I did copy the files the SDL build generated from /usr/local/lib to /usr/lib

Anyone got any ideas? I'm pretty new to Linux, so maybe it's something really obvious that I'm missing.

Also, is it normal that I have to check "allow executing file as program" in the properties? Without that I just get "bash: ./MaiaLinux: Permission denied"
Yeah that's normal. They lose the permissions because I'm uploading them via windows.

Not sure on the crash, can you post your specs. Is the resources folder in the same folder as the binary?

StfN

Post by StfN » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:35 pm

Knumskull wrote:
StfN wrote:So, I spent the last few hours trying to get the program to start, but no matter what I do with SDL, I always end up with the following:
No game pad found.
Segmentation fault

Anyone got any ideas? I'm pretty new to Linux, so maybe it's something really obvious that I'm missing.

Also, is it normal that I have to check "allow executing file as program" in the properties? Without that I just get "bash: ./MaiaLinux: Permission denied"
What distro are you running ?
Are you in a VM?

As for the allow executing file as a program, so yes, it is normal.
Running Linux Mint 14, and yes, for now I am running it in VirtualBox, though I did plan to install Linux on my PC if I got it to run in VBox. I know it won't run very well in VBox, cause 3D support isn't very good, I just didn't want to set it up on my PC if I couldn't even get it to run at all.
Windows 7 64-bit
Intel Core i7 4770K (4.0 GHz)
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770, 4GB

StfN

Post by StfN » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:38 pm

SimoRoth wrote:
No game pad found.
Segmentation fault

Yeah that's normal. They lose the permissions because I'm uploading them via windows.

Not sure on the crash, can you post your specs. Is the resources folder in the same folder as the binary?
Yeah, the folder is in the same directory as the binary, as for system specs, it's in VBox for now. I guess I can try again on my PC tomorrow if it just won't run in VBox at all, but it's almost midnight in my timezone, so I won't be doing that before going to bed.
Windows 7 64-bit
16 GB RAM

Leiaz

Post by Leiaz » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:40 pm

I had let it run in another workspace configured in fullscreen but running in a tiny window, and it did really weird things when I switched back. Changing my screen resolution to something smaller and back, the game window was black and it wouldn't quit. My cursor was not displayed at the right position (not where it really pointed and "clicked") and that on other workspaces too. I was able to SIGKILL Maia from another terminal.

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:41 pm

StfN wrote:
SimoRoth wrote:
No game pad found.
Segmentation fault

Yeah, the folder is in the same directory as the binary, as for system specs, it's in VBox for now. I guess I can try again on my PC tomorrow if it just won't run in VBox at all, but it's almost midnight in my timezone, so I won't be doing that before going to bed.
Ok. Its almost 100% likely that it's the VM I'm afraid. (most other crashes would give an indication of an error rather than a segfault when attempting to initialise the window.)

StfN

Post by StfN » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:44 pm

SimoRoth wrote:
StfN wrote: Yeah, the folder is in the same directory as the binary, as for system specs, it's in VBox for now. I guess I can try again on my PC tomorrow if it just won't run in VBox at all, but it's almost midnight in my timezone, so I won't be doing that before going to bed.
Ok. Its almost 100% likely that it's the VM I'm afraid. (most other crashes would give an indication of an error rather than a segfault when attempting to initialise the window.)
Ok, thanks. I guess now I finally got a good reason to set up Linux properly on my PC ;) Ah, if only it wasn't so late already...
Windows 7 64-bit
16 GB RAM

DerRidda

Post by DerRidda » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:08 am

So, I got to play with the latest build and most things seem to work, didn't test fullscreen yet.
The surprising thing was that the game ran between 25-35 fps most of the time but with a lot of fluctuation that would drop it down to around 2 fps at times but even when it runs with relatively high fps it just doesn't feel smooth at all
and the input handling is still very much unresponsive.

liamdawe

Post by liamdawe » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:19 am

Tried it and the globe appears but it makes my system turn into a snail and the window refused to close or register mouse/keyboard input to get into the game. I had to close it from terminal.

This is Ubuntu 12.10, 64bit.
AMD A10 5800K cpu
8GB RAM, Nvidia 650ti graphics
SDL installed via https://launchpad.net/~josebagar/+archive/sdl2

I changed screen resolution to 1024x768 and it still grinds to a crawl :(

Terminal Output while running: http://pastebin.com/g9gkJ8Xq

System monitor tells me it's using constantly 60%+ CPU. Saw it spike to 148% a couple times too heh.

So yeah for me I can't get into the game since it doesn't pick up mouse or keyboard it seems.
Last edited by liamdawe on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leiaz

Post by Leiaz » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:19 pm

It runs at around 25 FPS here in a 1920x1080 window and works well. It is responsive when moving, placing objects ...
It uses close to 100% of a core, and X is always sent to a different core and doesn't show much CPU usage. I'm using a regular mouse with evdev drivers and the proprietary Nvidia drivers.

If I let it run for a while memory usage increases, both RAM and graphic card.
After a while the light inside start to look weird, blueish. And the rock walls look like a negative image of themselves. Outside still looks good.

I also discovered that pressing L seems to generate the world with more things ? The plants look really good, it looked great with plants everywhere, but the FPS fall.