Linux engine test

Discussion of Maia's on going development, including modding.
SimoRoth
Site Admin

Re: Linux engine test

Post by SimoRoth » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:12 pm

Leiaz wrote:It runs at around 25 FPS here in a 1920x1080 window and works well. It is responsive when moving, placing objects ...
It uses close to 100% of a core, and X is always sent to a different core and doesn't show much CPU usage. I'm using a regular mouse with evdev drivers and the proprietary Nvidia drivers.

If I let it run for a while memory usage increases, both RAM and graphic card.
After a while the light inside start to look weird, blueish. And the rock walls look like a negative image of themselves. Outside still looks good.

I also discovered that pressing L seems to generate the world with more things ? The plants look really good, it looked great with plants everywhere, but the FPS fall.
Yeah L regenerates the world. But doesnt delete the entities from the old world. You can absolutely fill it with plants if you want to have a little fun. :D

The final game will have a density of about 16x what there is now once we are optimised and multithreaded!

StfN

Post by StfN » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:12 pm

SimoRoth wrote:
StfN wrote:
SimoRoth wrote: Yeah that's normal. They lose the permissions because I'm uploading them via windows.

Not sure on the crash, can you post your specs. Is the resources folder in the same folder as the binary?
Yeah, the folder is in the same directory as the binary, as for system specs, it's in VBox for now. I guess I can try again on my PC tomorrow if it just won't run in VBox at all, but it's almost midnight in my timezone, so I won't be doing that before going to bed.
Ok. Its almost 100% likely that it's the VM I'm afraid. (most other crashes would give an indication of an error rather than a segfault when attempting to initialise the window.)
After setting up Linux Mint 14 on my PC, downloading and building SDL the same way I did yesterday, and trying to run the game, I have to report that VBox wasn't the problem; I got the same error message as before.
Lucky for me liamdawe's post contained the solution. I installed SDL2 via https://launchpad.net/~josebagar/+archive/sdl2, and got the game to run. I'm somewhat curious now if it would have run in VBox after all, but I'm sure even if it did, it wouldn't have run very well, with VBox's 3D limitations.
Windows 7 64-bit
Intel Core i7 4770K (4.0 GHz)
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770, 4GB

DerRidda

Post by DerRidda » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:34 pm

StfN wrote: I have to report that VBox wasn't the problem; I got the same error message as before.
Lucky for me liamdawe's post contained the solution. I installed SDL2 via https://launchpad.net/~josebagar/+archive/sdl2, and got the game to run. I'm somewhat curious now if it would have run in VBox after all, but I'm sure even if it did, it wouldn't have run very well, with VBox's 3D limitations.
I might know what the problem was.
StfN wrote:I did copy the files the SDL build generated from /usr/local/lib to /usr/lib
That's it right there, you coped the entire battery of files, including the symlink that uses the name for libSDL that Maia actually wants but after copying that symlink was probably broken thus Maia found the file it was looking for but couldn't actually do anything with it.

StfN

Post by StfN » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:13 pm

DerRidda wrote:
StfN wrote: I have to report that VBox wasn't the problem; I got the same error message as before.
I might know what the problem was.
StfN wrote:I did copy the files the SDL build generated from /usr/local/lib to /usr/lib
That's it right there, you coped the entire battery of files, including the symlink that uses the name for libSDL that Maia actually wants but after copying that symlink was probably broken thus Maia found the file it was looking for but couldn't actually do anything with it.
Oh... Well, all I knew was that Maia expected to files to be in /usr/lib, so I made sure they were there. ^^'
If it wasn't good for anything else, at least now I know how to copy and move files and directories via terminal in linux. And I did get Maia to run in the end.
Windows 7 64-bit
16 GB RAM

GMAN

Post by GMAN » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:32 pm

I'll give it more of a go later, just ran it for a couple minutes. Had an error with textures showing through on the edges of some walls (I have no idea how to take a screenshot in Linux). I rebuilt SDL and GLEW using latest source, with options for my hardware. I got 5-15 FPS in 1920x1080 16X AF, 8X MSAA on an AMD Radeon HD 7750 setup, 4GHZ AMD 8-core processor. I also can't see the menu to the left (black squares). I'll mess with it more tonight.

StfN

Post by StfN » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:15 pm

Here's some notes I took during testing the game:

--Test #1--
Configured game to 1600x900 windowed, so it wouldn't partially be outside the screen
Window loaded
No menu
Globe is spinning (animation is very smooth)
Doesn't seem to register inputs
Runs at 40% CPU most of the time, sometimes goes up to 48% for a second, takes up around 1GB of memory.

Game suddenly startet after about a minute or two
Runs between 60 and 75 fps
I get a weird mouse movement problem: Moving mouse up/down moves the hand left/right, I can't get the hand to move up/down at all. My normal cursor is visible in addition to the hand.

--Test #2--
Configured game to 1920x1080 fullscreen
Window loaded
No menu
Globe is spinning (though a lot slower than before, animation isn't smooth anymore)
Doesn't seem to register inputs

Process takes around 1GB of memory
Runs at only 8% CPU when focused, but around 40% when it loses focus and minimizes. Takes up around 1.3GB of memory.
Killed the pricess after waiting for 5 minutes on the start screen for the game to start

--Test #3--
Back to 1600x900 windowed
All the stats are as on test #1, I couldn't get the game to start though, I clicked all over on the start screen, tried various keys on the keyboard, but after several minutes of waiting it was still on the spinning globe. No idea how I got it to run the first time. Am I supposed to click anywhere in particular?

Here's my system stats:
- Computer -
Processor : 8x Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz
Memory : 6111MB (904MB used)
Operating System : Linux Mint 14 Nadia
Kernel : Linux 3.5.0-17-generic (x86_64)

-Display-
Resolution : 1920x1080 pixels
Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
Version : 1.13.0

-OpenGL-
Vendor : NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer : GeForce GTX 580/PCIe/SSE2
Version : 4.2.0 NVIDIA 304.43
Direct Rendering : Yes

Also, I saved the console output of test #1 to a text file, in case that might help, I wanted to attach it to this post but I can't. It contains a few lines that might be errors, like: "No such uniform named lightAttenuationBuffer in shader Lightpass"
Windows 7 64-bit
16 GB RAM

DerRidda

Post by DerRidda » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:33 pm

GMAN wrote:I'll give it more of a go later, just ran it for a couple minutes. Had an error with textures showing through on the edges of some walls (I have no idea how to take a screenshot in Linux). I rebuilt SDL and GLEW using latest source, with options for my hardware. I got 5-15 FPS in 1920x1080 16X AF, 8X MSAA on an AMD Radeon HD 7750 setup, 4GHZ AMD 8-core processor. I also can't see the menu to the left (black squares). I'll mess with it more tonight.
Good old PrintScreen button ought to do it, at least it does so on Ubuntu and afair on Mint as well.

liamdawe

Post by liamdawe » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:48 pm

Well it's not just me who can't get it to register mouse clicks to get in then, at least I know i'm not alone heh

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:05 pm

Thanks for all the data this is great to have.

Those failing to get the mouse clicks to work. Are you using the latest binary? Eg the one attached to the first post rather than the one bundled with the resources?

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:12 pm

Also, I saved the console output of test #1 to a text file, in case that might help, I wanted to attach it to this post but I can't. It contains a few lines that might be errors, like: "No such uniform named lightAttenuationBuffer in shader Lightpass"
Those are mostly harmless. Just textures attached to shaders that don't need them and my code telling me so.