Mini update: Exterior rendering.

Discussion of Maia's on going development, including modding.
freeaxle

Re: Mini update: Exterior rendering.

Post by freeaxle » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:46 pm

I like the idea of a dynamic eco-system, where anything can become a pest if it's not kept in control, including the grass. It will keep the Sim Safari fans who felt there wasn't enough... ecologically necessary culling in the game. BTW, the grass reminds me of the grass in the badlands (I think) tileset for Starcraft which is a good thing as that was a very uninviting tileset. On it's way to looking like a very hostile environment.

Ascard

Post by Ascard » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:05 pm

Mark wrote:Magma Containment Field anybody??
99% Reliable, 1% completely freaking unreliable......
Murphey's law.

Studdart

Post by Studdart » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:53 am

Ascard wrote:
Mark wrote:Magma Containment Field anybody??
99% Reliable, 1% completely freaking unreliable......
Murphey's law.
Scientists have calculated that the chance of anything so patently absurd actually existing are millions to one. But magicians have calculated that million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten. - Terry Pratchett, Mort
I'll get my coat...

Alfie275

Post by Alfie275 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:26 pm

SimoRoth wrote: My design docs have a plan for a more invasive plant that will grow towards lights and damage your equipment. No idea what that will be at the moment. Probably a red weed. :D

Somewhat reminds me of the Europan fish-plant from 2010: Odyssey Two .

Eidelon

Post by Eidelon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:58 pm

Makes me think of the burrowing weed things in Space Colony. Something like that would make the surface far more troublesome and force you to deal with weed/pest control on the surface. Though admittedly since most of the action takes place in mountains or underground I guess having something like that would take away from the main aspect of the game. But you know it's just one of those thoughts to throw out there. Finally the exterior stuff is looking good already, looking forward to seeing a more hostile exterior in the future.
Signed
Eidelon

Ascard

Post by Ascard » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:15 pm

Eidelon wrote:Makes me think of the burrowing weed things in Space Colony. Something like that would make the surface far more troublesome and force you to deal with weed/pest control on the surface. Though admittedly since most of the action takes place in mountains or underground I guess having something like that would take away from the main aspect of the game. But you know it's just one of those thoughts to throw out there. Finally the exterior stuff is looking good already, looking forward to seeing a more hostile exterior in the future.
W00t! Space Colony fan!

Jackim

Post by Jackim » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:07 pm

Is there an easy way to give the plants some minor colour variation, without making new textures for each? Could look cool having slightly different coloured plants, just an extra sense of reality.

Eidelon

Post by Eidelon » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:08 pm

W00t! Space Colony fan!
Indeed, truly an under-appreciated game :D. Reminds me, I need to dig that game out or maybe get the HD version on GoG.

On topic though I was wondering, with an exterior/surface area will it have plants etc. that we can harvest for research in Maia? I guess I'm wondering what purpose the surface has aside from being there, can we build on it etc.? Or have I missed this being explained somewhere, if so I apologise.
Last edited by Eidelon on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed
Eidelon

randommonicle

Post by randommonicle » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:05 pm

From what i have understood, we will be able to build on the surface, and the have the use of a rover type vehicle. However due to the hostile fauna and flora surface outposts will be hard to keep alive :)
Burn with me