Windows Engine Test (Complete)

Discussion of Maia's on going development, including modding.
SimoRoth
Site Admin

Re: Windows Engine Test

Post by SimoRoth » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:23 pm

Tikigod wrote:
SimoRoth wrote:New exe uploaded.

This one absolutely can not fail to print something to the terminal. :p
Running just the .exe by itself now gives:

Game Started
Loading Config settings

Then windows halts the process and insists you kill it.

Running through visual studio debugging gives you the same output via the maia.exe terminal window and then as noted in my last post:

"Unhandled exception at 0x00C5CCBF (aticfx32.dll) in Maia.exe: 0xC00000FD: Stack overflow (parameters: 0x00000001, 0x002B2FFC)." and the option to break or continue.

On continuing the build runs no problems.
Thanks. Its the Ati driver failing to set the colour mode. Wish I had an ATI machine in front of me to test on.

Youjellyman

Post by Youjellyman » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:24 pm

Tikigod wrote:

Game Started
Loading Config settings

Running through visual studio debugging gives you the same output via the maia.exe terminal window and then as noted in my last post:

"Unhandled exception at 0x00C5CCBF (aticfx32.dll) in Maia.exe: 0xC00000FD: Stack overflow (parameters: 0x00000001, 0x002B2FFC)." and the option to break or continue.

On continuing the build runs no problems, and terminal output as aforementioned
I have the same issue. I have not tried running it through visual studio though.

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:31 pm

Another new exe uploaded.

Will output even more info.

Ginolk

Post by Ginolk » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:35 pm

SimoRoth wrote:
Tikigod wrote:

Game Started
Loading Config settings

On continuing the build runs no problems.
Thanks. Its the Ati driver failing to set the colour mode. Wish I had an ATI machine in front of me to test on.
You can play with mine all you want with some remote desktop solution if that would be any help.

Tikigod

Post by Tikigod » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:40 pm

SimoRoth wrote:Another new exe uploaded.

Will output even more info.
As you already know the cause of the process crash, suspect you don't really want/need consecutive updates on what is being fed out with each new .exe but just in case:

Maia terminal
Game Started
Loading Config Settings
SLD Video initialised
Creating Window
<Crash>

Visual Studio Debugging
Slightly different stack overflow error (atiadlxy.dll) via Visual Studio first attempt with the new exe:

Unhandled exception at 0x505B61C3 (atiadlxy.dll) in Maia.exe: 0xC00000FD: Stack overflow (parameters: 0x00000001, 0x000B2F68).

Following attempts all return the original stack overflow error.

First-chance exception at 0x024C709C (aticfx32.dll) in Maia.exe: 0xC00000FD: Stack overflow (parameters: 0x00000001, 0x00342E70).

---

Running through the crash cause, noticing now FPS figures are higher then previously, again figures are in the average stability range:

Caverns moving and stationary camera - 60-80 FPS
Exteriors night - 60-70 FPS
Exteriors established day - 50-60 FPS
Exteriors day break - 40-60 FPS

---

Build problems

All forms of chairs, glow lights and some other misc object ignore existing object locations, and can be placed inside any existing objects and/or geometry (except cave walls).

Some objects such as the square plant displays have slight clipping problems around the corners that allow objects to be placed through them.

No sound (But running through VS Debugging so could be the cause of this one)

POTENTIAL PROBLEM - Build seems rather GPU hungry. Even just sat idle when first loading into the open environment, my GPU fan will kick up quite significantly (Jumps to around 50% speed to start with), and GPU activity jumps between 50-60% (Idle before and after running Maia is 0-5% GPU activity). Adding objects and new light sources seems to not cause too much of a hit fortunately, have been able to jam caves with dozens of items and new light sources (Some ontop of the other due to the placement bug), and FPS drops only when dealing with more and more highly animated objects, and even then only around a 5-10 FPS drop.
But the initial spike in activity just for sitting idle is quite disconcerting.
Last edited by Tikigod on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent - Isaac Asimov

My channel. Game recordings & old 3D art assets I've made.

TH0TH

Post by TH0TH » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:10 pm

Well debugging in c++ 2010 express meant i could at least run it, and apart from it chugging, fps fluctuates in the 20-50 range, erroring continually with 'Cannot find or open the PDB file'. Exe 2&3 have both worked through the debugger but not otherwise, still, looks nice, i can place things mark for digging etc, no weird colours or weird glitches. Apart from some of the tall rocks outside seem to have black squares on top of them away from the mesh, but apart from that i haven't noticed anything wrong. :)
"Do not offend the chair leg of Truth. It is wise and terrible" -Spider Jerusalem

MandrewManson

Post by MandrewManson » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:20 pm

System Specs
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz, 2001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 16.0 GB
Total Virtual Memory 32.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 27.3 GB

Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M

Does the window load? Yes
Does the spinning globe appear? Yes
Does it registers input? (mouse clicks) Yes

Doe the colours look right? Is the gamma OK? Yes seems ok

Are there any obvious immediate glitches? Only thing I noticed was the lighting issue with the blockiness mentioned by someone already.

Does it chug? Hows the framerate?
1920x1080 windowed kept reasonably constant 20 fps indoors with some dips outdoors
1920x1080 full screen about the same.

1080x768 windowed bounced around one run it was doing 50-60 then spiked to 200 and crashed wasn't doing anything special just panning around, another run at the same settings started at the 175-200fps range and stayed there until I added a lot of assets then dipped down a little to 150-175.
1080x768 full screen 200+fps and stayed there until I added a lot of assets

Is there sound. No but I think in one of your posts you mentioned that it is disabled in the most recent build.

darkdemon

Post by darkdemon » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:26 pm

Win7 64Bit ATi, newest exe reports:

Game started
Loading Config settings
SDL Video Initialised
Creating Window

<<Maia.exe has stopped working>>

Knumskull

Post by Knumskull » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:29 pm

Latest exe randomly crashing on WASD. 42 characters!

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:34 pm

I've had no luck fixing this.

Gonna leave it for now and maybe see if the the Linux build (on ati) sheds some light on the matter.