Medical

Discussion of Maia's on going development, including modding.
Sheogorath

Re: Medical

Post by Sheogorath » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:45 pm

I think there should be some way to get some basic health information on a colonist without doing a medical checkup. Assuming colonists have some sort of profile you can bring up, perhaps part of it could be a 'symptoms report' bar where they throw out a little quote along the lines of, "I've had a headache for the last few days and there's a tentacle sticking out of my ear," which would be a good cue to send them to medical to get the Quinsraxian brain slugs removed before it's too late.

Of course, visual cues would work as well. Leg injuries would be displayed by limping, bleeding by leaving a trail of blood, insanity by scrawling warnings about the coming apocalypse in their own feces on the wall. That sort of thing.

PlasmaDavid

Post by PlasmaDavid » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:20 am

I think just a heartbeat monitor would look good, as per sci fi "remote squad member tracking" procedure. It would increase when scared, fighting, running, and shudder and suffer in image quality when they're under physical assault.

The medbay looks good!

Simon in regards to children, why not have an EXTREMELY VITAL part of the colony as a large artificial womb device. The settlers have the technology to accelerate growth so that new colonists emerge as young adults. Very important when trying to get the colony off the ground on a hostile world, with a limited population! You could even have a touching moment where a couple donates their DNA together at the machine at the same time :lol: (blood from the finger tip I mean!)

Either that or colonists are thawed in orbit and brought down to the surface gradually. It's not safe enough to start having children yet!
Send in more planes!

Nettle

Post by Nettle » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:43 am

If you do add in kids, which I don't mind, please also add a creche or a school or something, just to keep them out from under feet. Not that they couldn't skive off to explore that unlocked airlock they spotted earlier... :)

Belsameth

Post by Belsameth » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:02 am

Nettle wrote:If you do add in kids, which I don't mind, please also add a creche or a school or something, just to keep them out from under feet. Not that they couldn't skive off to explore that unlocked airlock they spotted earlier... :)
Relevant: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91093.0

Tikigod

Post by Tikigod » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:39 pm

Belsameth wrote:
Nettle wrote:If you do add in kids, which I don't mind, please also add a creche or a school or something, just to keep them out from under feet. Not that they couldn't skive off to explore that unlocked airlock they spotted earlier... :)
Relevant: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91093.0
Amusing read. :D

Personally I'd prefer a "Solarian" approach to child raising, except not quite so isolationist, but instead a similar approach adopted due to needing the manpower focused on critical maintenance and survival rather than child raising.

In other words, children are raised initially in a isolated environment by a singular 'parent' robot and educated in the various subjects and taught to have no real emotional family connections to their biological parents.

As they grow older, whilst still mostly isolated they may remotely communicate with other children and colonists as a form of social development.

Then at a certain age and when a existing colonist is injured and unable to work, dies or the colony grows to be able to support more colonists, the raised child is introduced into the colony as a entirely independent individual, without the family associations.

This of course requires the act of conception to be tightly controlled and only permitted when there is either a predicted need for a replacement (Old age) or when the colony expands and there is room to support more colonists.

It would certainly be something different, would be much easier to approach than having to record and simulate some kind of family upbringing system, and also introduces a touch of this not being the same kind of society and culture we all know from earth, but rather is one that has developed what may seem rather alien and even harsh practises out of the rationale of the need for efficiency. :P

For those not familiar with Solaria as a planet and culture here's a very generalised summary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solaria

Though you'd really need to read the various books to get a better idea.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent - Isaac Asimov

My channel. Game recordings & old 3D art assets I've made.

raumfahrer

Post by raumfahrer » Tue May 28, 2013 9:44 pm

Great concept! It does look like a morgue though, I would assume a high-tech medical facility would be white and brightly lit. Medical tech takes a lot of electricity doesn't it :idea: