Medical

Discussion of Maia's on going development, including modding.
SimoRoth
Site Admin

Medical

Post by SimoRoth » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:22 pm

New concept from james. Rudi is already working on the room tiles for it.

Re: Medical

Post by AvatarIII » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:07 pm

Very nice, I had been assuming that workbench thing you posted a little while ago was like a sick bay bed, but I like the low tech beds in this pic.

Nettle

Post by Nettle » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:46 pm

Looks more like a morgue... :) Then again, knowing how my hospitals always end up in DF, that's probably rather apt...

Tikigod

Post by Tikigod » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 pm

Awesome concept piece, and also raises a very important question... just how do you dispose of the dead? Just bury them outside with marked graves? Throw the bodies into a furnace and use them as a basic fuel source? Or maybe have recycling tanks, where "it is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks and become one with all the people"?

As I can't imagine a young colony facing hardships would invest ever decreasing available space toward ever increasing support needs behind storing bodies in morgues indefinitely... not to mention the power, and resource requirements behind maintaining such facilities.

Bonus points for getting the reference there without using search engines! ;)
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent - Isaac Asimov

My channel. Game recordings & old 3D art assets I've made.

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:45 pm

Tikigod wrote:Awesome concept piece, and also raises a very important question... just how do you dispose of the dead? Just bury them outside with marked graves? Throw the bodies into a furnace and use them as a basic fuel source? Or maybe have recycling tanks, where "it is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks and become one with all the people"?

As I can't imagine a young colony facing hardships would invest ever decreasing available space toward ever increasing support needs behind storing bodies in morgues indefinitely... not to mention the power, and resource requirements behind maintaining such facilities.

I'm thinking either them getting fed into the Hydroponics (a bit Soylent green) or you having to store all the body bags in the cold storage.

Easy. Alpha Centurai right? ;) ;)

Tikigod

Post by Tikigod » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:11 am

SimoRoth wrote:
Tikigod wrote:Awesome concept piece, and also raises a very important question... just how do you dispose of the dead? Just bury them outside with marked graves? Throw the bodies into a furnace and use them as a basic fuel source? Or maybe have recycling tanks, where "it is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks and become one with all the people"?

I'm thinking either them getting fed into the Hydroponics (a bit Soylent green) or you having to store all the body bags in the cold storage.

Easy. Alpha Centurai right? ;) ;)
Some form of recycling/processing sounds good.

Having giant freezer complexes, and parades of peons hauling bodies onto meat racks was something that occurred in Evil Genius and was kind of fun and an adjusted style of that could be interesting in Maia especially if/when you ran out of space to store them or had power issues and the frozen bodies started to defrost, however having something a bit more different like being reprocessed would personally get my vote mostly for the sake of doing something new to firmly establish Maias' personal quirkiness.

And yep, good old Alpha Centauri. :)

b0rsuk

Post by b0rsuk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:00 am

Concept art for this game is wallpaper-worthy.

Ortwin

Post by Ortwin » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:50 pm

I do not have enough saliva to keep drooling. Desktop wallpaper worthy indeed.

One note though, being a bit too familiar with hospital beds... they should be able to bend so patients can 'sit up'.
Making the patients be able to sit up in bed might also add to the 'UI-less' interface, as indicator for less serious illnesses/wounds or recovering patients.

- patients who lay down all the time
- patients who can sit up for breakfast/lunch/dinner
- patients almost recovered and sitting up the whole day (they might be able to do some office work when they are in this state)

Is that a blood stain...?

edit: and for the sake of a bit of realism: if that is an MRI (MAGNETIC resonance imaging), then it should NOT be in a 'regular' room. Anything slightly magnetic will be dragged to it.
Remember the (true) horror story of the guy who had an iron nail in his foot since childhood (he never knew). When being put in an MRI for a brain scan the nail ripped through his food towards the machine... The guy was lucky he already was in a hospital. And last year some idiot brought metal gas canisters into an MRI room, that was quite an dumb thing to do.
You can avoid the entire magnetism issue by designating it an x-ray imaging device (but that would still kinda require it to be put in a separate room, by convention. Even though the modern variants pose (virtually) no threat for people standing around).
And a low cost alternative: echography. For those who can't afford the real deal in their colonies.

Sheogorath

Post by Sheogorath » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:28 am

I can just see something horrible bursting from the corpses chest, latching onto the doctor's face and starting 110 minutes of scifi horror :P

Looks brilliant :D

It would be nice to see varying levels of injury for individual patients. Dwarf Fortress springs to mind, although that sort of system might be a little too complex.

Perhaps just tying patient mobility to their health bar would be best. For instance
>90% health - Totally immobile, equivalent to a coma, requires advanced medical equipment to keep alive
75-90% - Bedridden, in need of constant care, blood transfusion, etc.
50-75% - Bedridden, but capable of basic functions (drinking, eating, etc.)
25-50% - Limited mobility (wheelchair/crutches, possibly tied to an IV pole)
10-25% - Slightly limited mobility (limping, or just generally slower)
0-10% - Full mobility

People under 50% health would have to be dragged or otherwise moved to the infirmary by other crew members, or they bleed out on the spot.

I also hope we'll see plenty of interesting alien diseases/parasites/fungi. Nothing adds to a survival situation like some good ol' fashioned body horror.

Tikigod

Post by Tikigod » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:48 pm

I think a nice touch would be to have medical equipment with patient condition monitors that actually reflect the condition of the colonist.

So if the person has broken their leg somehow, a body scan is shown as part of their condition with a red highlight around the problem leg, if they're ill then a bunch of pseudo-medical terms is displayed such as the kind of infection/disease and recommended treatments.

Not sure if Maia will include an actual calender system, but if so displaying things such as subjects DOB, time of admittance, ETA on recovery or ETA to death, and time of death when they snuff it would also be a nice touch.

Wouldn't need to have all this information visible all at once, maybe a sequence of screens that loop around, or if it's not too difficult to implement a means of clicking on the monitor to toggle screen.

Would also mean there would be no need for actual interface elements to display this information such as health bars, instead such information can be presented through game objects in the scene, and could also lead to 'check up' machines that can be used to find out the state of a colonist at certain intervals without knowing their health condition between scans to introduce a element of the unknown.

If colonists don't have regular scans then possible diseases they've caught would go unnoticed and pass from colonist to colonist until it leads to a epidemic, or minor injuries inflicted could go unreported until it leads to a more critical health problem. :D