Windows Engine Test 2: The Bloodening

Discussion of Maia's on going development, including modding.
SimoRoth
Site Admin

Re: Windows Engine Test 2: The Bloodening

Post by SimoRoth » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:36 pm

Updated the Linux build and it's getting it too now.

Kinda wish I'd tested between each of the fixes I made. I can't remember what I changed now. :cry:

Muuki

Post by Muuki » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:02 am

This is my first post on this forum and also my first test of your game.

My Computer (brief):
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.7GHz
9Gb DDR3
GeForce GTX 560
* All my drivers are up to date
* Will upload dxdiag upon request.

Maia loads up and I get the spinning globe in full color (Earth looks pretty much like it should). There's what looks like storms or disasters happening in the world. The colors of these are shades of red and yellow.. (Looks really nice).

If I click the world then it loads into the game. It automatically loads full screen (1920x1080) and I haven't edited my Config.xml. FPS never exceeds 9FPS. So its very jittery. There seems to be very minimal audio.

The WSAD work fine as well as (mouse wheel) and (Alt+mouse wheel).

I can't get my robots to move. I can left click on rocks and it will highlight them green but I can't do anymore than that and I can't deselect what I've highlighted. So other than loading the game, I can't do much else.

Pressing ESC closes the game with no errors.

... I'll play with the Config.xml and see if I can lower my resolution, which should increase my frame rate.
... Can someone reply and tell me if this is all I'm supposed to see or if there's more I should be able to do?

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:31 am

Muuki wrote:This is my first post on this forum and also my first test of your game.

My Computer (brief):
9Gb DDR3
GeForce GTX 560

Maia loads up and I get the spinning globe in full color (Earth looks pretty much like it should). There's what looks like storms or disasters happening in the world. The colors of these are shades of red and yellow.. (Looks really nice).

If I click the world then it loads into the game. It automatically loads full screen (1920x1080) and I haven't edited my Config.xml. FPS never exceeds 9FPS. So its very jittery. There seems to be very minimal audio.

I can't get my robots to move. I can left click on rocks and it will highlight them green but I can't do anymore than that and I can't deselect what I've highlighted. So other than loading the game, I can't do much else.

... I'll play with the Config.xml and see if I can lower my resolution, which should increase my frame rate.
... Can someone reply and tell me if this is all I'm supposed to see or if there's more I should be able to do?
Welcome to the forums.

9fps seems very low for your specs.

If you press K you can place some objects. As I mentioned in the first post the Imps's are disabled so wont do anything in these builds.

Muuki

Post by Muuki » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:48 am

SimoRoth wrote:
Muuki wrote:This is my first post on this forum and also my first test of your game.

My Computer (brief):
9Gb DDR3
GeForce GTX 560

Welcome to the forums.

9fps seems very low for your specs.

If you press K you can place some objects. As I mentioned in the first post the Imps's are disabled so wont do anything in these builds.

Okay, I did press "K" and I can add objects to the game world.. Hard to tell what the objects are. Looks like some types of electronic devices and I can also add what looks like a bunker (type thing).

I also changed my res in the "Config.xml" and here's my findings:

(Default): 1920 x 1080: 9FPS

Tried... 1600 x 900 ...Got 13.5FPS

Tried... 1280 x 720 ...Got 60FPS

... Odd that the 1280 x 720 gave such a huge difference opposed to the other two resolutions.

Any ideas on how to get better FPS on the higher resolutions? My nVidia driver is at 314.22. Maybe a back rev?

Tikigod

Post by Tikigod » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:06 am

Muuki wrote:
Okay, I did press "K" and I can add objects to the game world.. Hard to tell what the objects are. Looks like some types of electronic devices and I can also add what looks like a bunker (type thing).

I also changed my res in the "Config.xml" and here's my findings:

(Default): 1920 x 1080: 9FPS

Tried... 1600 x 900 ...Got 13.5FPS

Tried... 1280 x 720 ...Got 60FPS

... Odd that the 1280 x 720 gave such a huge difference opposed to the other two resolutions.

Any ideas on how to get better FPS on the higher resolutions? My nVidia driver is at 314.22. Maybe a back rev?
Just a thought, have you checked the Nvidia control panel to make sure you're not trying to force certain behaviour onto the game?

If it's not set to already, try to set as much as possible to application controlled.

Some times trying to introduce certain behaviour by forcing them on via Control Panel or Catalyst can lead to some very bad performance results. And it's not uncommon for the settings to be tweaked for one game (For example, a game doesn't ship with Anti-Alias, so instead people force it), and then for people to forget they set it and don't notice any major adverse results across a range of games that when it does cause one the connection isn't made.

Edit: Also, are those FPS figures the same with fullscreen in the config.xml set to false and true? Not heard of it occurring recently but it's not entirely unheard of for some setups to handle windowed applications significantly worse than fullscreen or the reverse handling fullscreen significantly worse than windowed. (Last time I saw it happen was with STO, where certain Nvidia setups had to play the game in maximised window, as in actual fullscreen performance took a massive nose dive even at the same resolution)

You mentioned before that the game already started 'fullscreen' by default but that may have just been a window that was larger than your desktop resolution, so the window would have exceeded your display.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent - Isaac Asimov

My channel. Game recordings & old 3D art assets I've made.

kevok

Post by kevok » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:27 am

SimoRoth wrote:Black screen bug

It looks like the screen tiling system is failing.

The thing in the bottom left hand corner is a tile. Whether they are drawing on top of each other at (0,0) or only the first one is drawing, I'm not sure.
for every tile that is drawn, print index and coordinates to console. If you see lots of different indices at 0,0, there's your answer. If you see only one index over and over, only the first one's drawing.

My personal bet is that there's a problem getting the screen size or something like that, and Maia's thinking there's only room for one grid square on screen.

Just thoughts from a fellow programmer. :geek:
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T
Nvidia GeForce GTX 560
2x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz
Windows 7 x64

Muuki

Post by Muuki » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:40 am

Tikigod wrote:
Just a thought, have you checked the Nvidia control panel to make sure you're not trying to force certain behaviour onto the game?

If it's not set to already, try to set as much as possible to application controlled.

Some times trying to introduce certain behaviour by forcing them on via Control Panel or Catalyst can lead to some very bad performance results. And it's not uncommon for the settings to be tweaked for one game (For example, a game doesn't ship with Anti-Alias, so instead people force it), and then for people to forget they set it and don't notice any major adverse results across a range of games that when it does cause one the connection isn't made.

Edit: Also, are those FPS figures the same with fullscreen in the config.xml set to false and true? Not heard of it occurring recently but it's not entirely unheard of for some setups to handle windowed applications significantly worse than fullscreen or the reverse handling fullscreen significantly worse than windowed.

You mentioned before that the game already started 'fullscreen' by default but that may have just been a window that was larger than your desktop resolution, so the window would have exceeded your display.
Yeah, I understand what you're saying and I checked but don't have any video settings that I'm forcing as a 'generic' setting.. I do however have this new "GeForce Experience" which allows you to select from a list of games and 'Optimize' settings for each of them, which I have on several of my games but each setting is unique to that game and doesn't have any effect on other games... (??) So, I can't see how any of that would have any behavioral modifications on Maia... I'd have to disable each of those to see, which I "COULD" do... but that would be a huge undertaking on my part... So I'll leave it for a last resort.

I play both "Triple A" and "Indie" games and none of the other indie games have FPS or resolution problems and many of them are in alpha or beta stages...

In regards to my comment about "Full Screen"... I see now that what I said was wrong... I have dual monitor so when I say "Full Screen".. I'm simply saying Maia loaded to the full 1920 x 1080 (window) inside my primary monitor... but it's not true Full Screen to where I can't move my mouse into the second monitor..

From what I've read regarding this testing phase.. I think my game is behaving as it should in regards to what controls I can use and how the game looks.. Except for the FPS issue, which I tend to have issues from time to time on indie games because my monitors are so big...

I'm curious though if anyone else has any nVidia video cards from the 500+ series and are getting good frame rates at high resolutions?

FullMetalMonkey

Post by FullMetalMonkey » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:03 am

First off all, i'm glad to finally have had a muck about with the game engine even if there are no actual gameplay mechanics in the Bloodening build. First things first, my systems specifications.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Intel i7 2600k @4.8Ghz
2x EVGA GTX560Ti 448 Core Classified in SLI (latest nVidia drivers)
16GB of Corsair Vengeance 1333Mhz DDR3 Dual Channel RAM

Upon launching the game, in fullscreen at 1920x1080, i had no issue at the Planet Maia screen, it loaded correctly and seemed to be behaving normally. Clicking then took me to the into the main part of the game and i was a little surprised by my frame rate to be perfectly honest. I was stable at 60fps, occasionally pushing itself upto 70fps, when looking inside of a cave/mountain and when i moved the camera outside it would drop to somewhere between 45-55fps, this is confirmed by both the in-game fps counter and also by fraps. I was surprised at my frame rate as with my two GPUs (at stock they perform slightly faster than a reference GTX570) so i did some investigating. When i ran Precision X i found that my second GPU wasn't being utilized at all, meaning the game isn't utilizing my second card, i assume this is the case with everyone using nVidia cards in SLI.

Here are my findings in the spoiler. Inbetween the two yellow lines is when i launched the game. Inbetween the yellow and red is when i was idling at the planet screen and everything to right of the red line is when i was ingame. Notice the that GPU2 is maxed out and GPU1 isn't being utilized at all.
Spoiler: show
Something i'd noticed is that the in-game fps counter is wrong at times, mostly after returning to the game from alt-tabbing. Screenshot in the spoiler showing the ingame fps counter and also fraps' fps counter. Another thing in that screenshot, are night times meant to look purple before it turns black? Also the rocks, especially the ones to the right of the cursor were extremely dark and had this weird negative effect on them.
I was trying my hardest to crash the game by spawning in objects into the world, mainly lights and i had found a weird lighting bug. Screenshot shows it all to be honest.
Ill leave it at that for now as i really should get to bed.
Last edited by FullMetalMonkey on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

utukxul

Post by utukxul » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:06 am

I got it to load and placed objects. Windowed 1920x1080 it ran at about 30 fps, 1920x1200 full screen it ran at anywhere between 12 and 160, it was fluctuating so quickly I could not really tell. It seemed very slow to respond to input either way though and I have a pretty decent machine.

Windows 7 Pro, i7 920, 12GB RAM, GeForce GTX 560 Ti 4GB

The only other thing I noticed was some sort of glitch on the Computer Desk. It looks like the texture is not showing up so its just a really reflective object. All the other objects looked good.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/94379156/DxDiag.txt

Predator106

Post by Predator106 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:52 am

SimoRoth wrote:Updated the Linux build and it's getting it too now.

Kinda wish I'd tested between each of the fixes I made. I can't remember what I changed now. :cry:
ouch, didn't commit?

svn/git bisect would be lovely right about now ;p