Engine Test Build 0.26

Discussion of Maia's on going development, including modding.

Site Admin

Post Sun May 05, 2013 2:28 am

Engine Test Build 0.26

Can people have a quick look at this debug build. Please ignore the terrible temporary animations, and the man behind the curtain. The FPS is nonsense atm due to it being messed up by the threading, but tell me how responsive it is.

Note: This is not a gameplay build. The colonists, atomosphere, rooms and AI simulation are removed.

This build has a rewrite of the XML loading code. Load times should be reduced significantly.

It also has the 3d sound activated. The fission reactor and wind turbines have it set up. (they will need to be built - press 'u'). Also the ambient sounds are in for wind, rain etc.

Other cool things to notice: Loads of new infotips to read. The power grid - place generators to create electricity and super capacitors for storage and try to avoid brownouts and blackouts. Variable wind direction and strength (and sound that reflects it)

wsad = movement.
mousewheel = zoom
alt + mouse mouse = rotate camera

Debug Controls:

j = Place rooms
h = Info mode. Click-place digging markers (on rock) / read info tips (on mouseover of objects)
k = Debug click-place objects (use v-b to scroll all objects ctrl for snap-to-grid )
u = Debug instabuild objects (gets rid of green hologram effect) .

numpad 9 - rain
numpad 8 - less rain

l = regenerate world. (bugged: creates a small memory leak and will eventually crash the game)

Escape = Exit

-/+ Keypad = Modify game time speed ().

Please post your system specs along with any problems you have.

Build removed. Only backers get to alpha test now!

ATI users: Update your drivers to the newest ones from this week.

You will also need the VS Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package: http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download ... px?id=5555

You can edit the config.xml to change resolution and enable fullscreen.

Please no live streaming this build. Its just so we can catch any problem configurations before releasing the alpha into the wild.

Post Sun May 05, 2013 3:14 am

Re: Engine Test Build 0.26

DXDIAG

Some things I have noticed so far from a quick session:

Oddities

* Wind sounds, wind turbine sounds when up close to them and such remain constant regardless to time progression.

* On increasing time to a certain extent, wind mills will reach a point eventually where their heads vanish... not sure if this is because they have wear and tear and have fallen apart or if it's a glitch brought on by trying to reposition the top to meet wind that was changing at too quick a pace.

Performance & Bugs

* On increasing time by around 4 or 5 presses of the '+' key, giving the first instruction to mine a wall since starting the build will kill all performance, the IMP will remain stationary, FPS will plummet and the build stops responding to instructions such as regenerate world.

* On first loading the build and going to the game environment, when giving the first instruction to mine, there is often a very obvious drop in performance that causes around a 1-1.5 second freeze up of the build and causes the IMP to jerk from one place to another. Any following instructions don't have the problem fine it's only the very first one given right after loading the environment.

* Often after mining a wall section which drops a mineral deposits, if the IMP already has another order to mine queued up the IMP will remain stationary and 'hump' the spot it is standing on whilst working out what to do to get to the next spot. This only seems to happen if the mined wall section drops a mineral deposit that is feasibly along the path the IMP would have taken to get to the next order.

* After giving a instruction to mine a wall section the IMP navigated around some mineral rubble, it then approached the wall tile to mine it and vanished. Cursor now displays 'I.M.P Robot' everywhere except when hovering over things with their own tooltip description. When the mouse goes back over empty tiles, it reverts back to 'I.M.P Robot'. The existence of the IMP isn't reflected in the environment (in other words, no mining is being carried out). Didn't notice any debug message churned out when it occurred, but it's hard to keep a eye on debug output now with the power grid debug loop churn out constantly flooding the prompt... perhaps some way to enable/disable certain debug log output loops from within the build would be something for future builds.

Spoiler: show

Edit 1 - Using updated 0.26 build with interior sounds

Performance & Bugs Continued

* I.M.P will path find through physically impossible routes across tiles that have touching corners but with adjacent tile terrain in the way.

* I.M.P is walking through cave wall pieces as if the aren't solid when path finding decides the most effective route is to do so. This includes walking through tiles to get to diagonally open tiles, and also cutting off corners sometimes by walking through part of the terrain.

* Various recreated pathfinding efficiency problems, when giving mining instructions to I.M.Ps that involve pathing to tiles some distance away and are more likely for pathfinding to bring the build to a crawl if the instruction theoretically could involve path finding making use of the 'walk through walls' trick it has developed. (Such as the shortest route being to cross diagonally but that would involve walking through a wall)... won't go into them one by one as you mentioned pathfinding optimisation isn't in effect atm.
Last edited by Tikigod on Sun May 12, 2013 10:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent - Isaac Asimov

My channel. Game recordings & old 3D art assets I've made.

Post Sun May 05, 2013 4:44 am

AMD user with a 6850 here. Still get the old black screen issue. I am currently on the beta 13.5 drivers.

Post Sun May 05, 2013 9:05 am

Hello,

A few things I have found with this compared to the last test build:

- No wind sound on the spinning planet at the start, just silence
- Wind noise seems to be the same throughout

- Still have a werid texture issue with the "mining selection" ( see image) this was also present in the last test build but I did realise it was a bug, see below

Post Sun May 05, 2013 10:09 am

i5 3570k @ 4.5, 8 gig ram, nvidia gtx 660, win 7

Tile selection and digging:

* If I click one tile at a time and wait for it to be completely dug out before selecting another one there is usually a significant performance hit, and sometimes a short freeze, when I select the new tile.
* At some point clicking a tile will cause fps to immediately drop to unplayable levels.
* This sudden performance drop seems to occur at any time. It's happened to me after only digging out 3 tiles, but I've also managed to get to 80+ tiles without it occurring. It happens almost every session however and is the main reason I have to restart the client.
* Digging causes a much higher performance impact that placing objects. After 30+ piles of minerals my fps will drop to 30, 50+ to 20 and 80+ to 10. By comparison I can place dozens of objects including ones with light sources or animations and still have 60+ fps.

Some other things:

1) Client crashes when rapidly cycling through objects using v or b whilst simultaneously clicking the left mouse button.
2) Very noticeable tearing effect when scrolling (most noticeable on placed objects). This only occurs at high fps. Refresh rate issue maybe.
3) IMP regularly gets stuck. He won't move to dig out a selected tile after his current tile has been dug even when there is a clear path available. This can cause tiles to become unusable.
4) Disparity between scroll, rotate and zoom camera speeds. Scrolling speed feels good but zoom too slow and rotate too fast.
5) Mouse cursor moves whilst rotating camera. I would expect it to stay fixed.
6) I can't build any objects inside rooms in 0.26, only in corridors or outside. Intended?
7) It's very hard to read tool-tips on objects placed outside.

I could see the variable wind speed on the wind turbines and enjoyed seeing the solar panels track the sun. I could also hear the difference between weak and strong winds.

Load times are great, the client launches almost instantly and there's zero delay when cycling through objects. The game is generally very responsive, at least at the start.

Hopefully next build the IMP will have lazy mode disabled and I can dig out a nice cavernous base with corridors and rooms. :P
Last edited by unapalm on Mon May 06, 2013 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin

Post Sun May 05, 2013 11:17 am

haXs wrote:Hello,

A few things I have found with this compared to the last test build:

- No wind sound on the spinning planet at the start, just silence
- Wind noise seems to be the same throughout

- Still have a werid texture issue with the "mining selection" ( see image) this was also present in the last test build but I did realise it was a bug, see below

The wind noise may remain the same. Check the wind turbines to see if the wind speed is changing much.

That mining problem looks bad. I'll look into that!

Post Sun May 05, 2013 9:23 pm

Added some new bugs to my existing post. :oops:
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent - Isaac Asimov

My channel. Game recordings & old 3D art assets I've made.

Post Sun May 05, 2013 10:30 pm

Arrg no work for me "FMOD error! (36) An invalid object handle was used". Lots of errorrs in Assest.xml and EntityMaterials.xml
My coat is made with real beaver fur. The last ten to be precise.

Post Sun May 05, 2013 11:13 pm

Teamwith1 wrote:Arrg no work for me "FMOD error! (36) An invalid object handle was used". Lots of errorrs in Assest.xml and EntityMaterials.xml

I get the same errors in the dos box, but it still runs

Post Mon May 06, 2013 12:26 am

Atmosphere controller things still don't work, but I assume you'd know that.

Pathfinding is still horrible, as previously mentioned. I still get the bug where he is stuck attempting to navigate to the nearest dig spot, even if he can't get there.

The Black ATI squares are still on the side.

The description text box doesn't seem to be able to handle dynamic text anymore. When I mouseover'd the atmosphere controllers when the text was blinked off, it stayed off, and when I mouseover'd when the text was blinked on, it stayed on.

PROS:

The Nuclear Reactor text is fixed!!!

Power input SEEMS to work as planned.

EDIT1:
Behold the beauty that is the Super Capacitor!!!!!
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T
Nvidia GeForce GTX 560
2x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz
Windows 7 x64
Next

Return to Development