Testing colonist size in game

Discussion of Maia's on going development, including modding.
SimoRoth
Site Admin

Testing colonist size in game

Post by SimoRoth » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:42 am

Edit: New Screenshot with specular reflection and glowing buttons added!

Yep that seems to work!

Gothars

Re: Testing colonist size in game

Post by Gothars » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:49 pm

The seats in the airlock seem a bit to big for the scale, in comparison with the chairs. If the seating surface is longer than the thighs, the backrest would be uncomfortable to use.

rkolenc

Post by rkolenc » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:50 pm

Is the spec map in for that there Fusion Reactor? The pipes on side should be chrome-y.

Ortwin

Post by Ortwin » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:55 pm

Agree with Gothars.

Human scale size looks great, keep it this way (this size will also allow for some larger-than-human aliens).

Other question: is this an underground scene? Will we see the underground in layers similar to Dwarf Fortress?
If its above ground, the very specific passable<->non-passable terrain seperation really really brings back memories to 90's games like ST Away Team and similar :)

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:55 pm

Yeah suspected that I'd need to scale those seats a bit.
Ortwin wrote:Agree with Gothars.

Human scale size looks great, keep it this way (this size will also allow for some larger-than-human aliens).

Other question: is this an underground scene? Will we see the underground in layers similar to Dwarf Fortress?
If its above ground, the very specific passable<->non-passable terrain seperation really really brings back memories to 90's games like ST Away Team and similar :)
this size will also allow for some larger-than-human aliens)
There will be 1 very big alien!

Its below ground. Think of it as a smooth out cross section.

TheDR

Post by TheDR » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:28 pm

Does the object in the bottom left show the amount of detail we can expect to see in the rest of the game?
With it's rust and multiple pipes it looks very intricate. Although the last games of this type I can compare too are really quite old, but they still look good today. I think that is probably due to the top down view letting you see so much detail at the same time. What ever it is your doing, it looks really good so far.

I have a quick question about the room building mechanics, can you build rooms of any shape and then place the objects in or are there pre-built rooms?

I only ask because Impire (http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/impire), a Dungeon Keeper-esk game, has decided on pre-built rooms that you just plop down. For me that really takes away a huge part of the customization in favour of keeping it simple.
If your interested, here is a link to the interview where they discuss room building: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty2QLAqcZk4&t=6m28s

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:47 pm

Yeah the plan is to maintain that level of detail for everything. It almost holds up in first person.

Room building is fully custom. You place tiles that are 4 blocks by 4. and can make them as big or small as you want. Can't stand the idea of pre-built rooms. :p

Placing objects inside the rooms is entirely free form too. Place and then rotate. Might add some sort of grid snapping for people with OCD.

Edit: Watched the impire clip. Makes me want to get shadows done in my game. But yeah all looks very premade.

TheDR

Post by TheDR » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:31 am

SimoRoth wrote:Yeah the plan is to maintain that level of detail for everything. It almost holds up in first person.
Good to hear. It looked really good in that video you made.
SimoRoth wrote:Room building is fully custom. You place tiles that are 4 blocks by 4. and can make them as big or small as you want. Can't stand the idea of pre-built rooms. :p
Also good to hear, this was one of my main concerns as making the base look good is half the fun.
SimoRoth wrote:Placing objects inside the rooms is entirely free form too. Place and then rotate. Might add some sort of grid snapping for people with OCD.
Maybe it could snap to a grid normally, but holding alt/shift/ctrl would allow you to place it more organically, letting players have more freedom but then not overwhelming those with a obsession for symmetry.
SimoRoth wrote:Edit: Watched the impire clip. Makes me want to get shadows done in my game. But yeah all looks very premade.
How much contrast are thinking of having in the game? In quite a lot of 70s Sci-Fi the blacks are usually very dark, of course the obvious inspiration would be Alien and just horror/thriller cinematography in general. It would be interesting if your base was well lit when at full power, but if one of the generators were to go offline, your screen would be completely black for a second or two and then your base would switch to a dim (red?) backup light and your colonists would switch on there chest mounted torches.

I don't think I've ever seen a management game with horror/thriller type aspects to it, obviously it wouldn't be a major aspect to the game, but the idea of your base being attacked by aliens and you not knowing what is going on, ever for a brief few seconds, sounds brilliant and really fits the style of the game.

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:03 am

TheDR wrote: I don't think I've ever seen a management game with horror/thriller type aspects to it, obviously it wouldn't be a major aspect to the game, but the idea of your base being attacked by aliens and you not knowing what is going on, ever for a brief few seconds, sounds brilliant and really fits the style of the game.
So that already happens. Lamps and lights rely on the power output. Get low power and they will flicker or dim. The lights going red is reserved for when atmosphere is lost.

You can place down glow sticks, but they have a very limited range and fade out in a minute or so, so you cant rely on them.

TheDR

Post by TheDR » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:11 am

Oh thats great news, I look forward to a screenshot of a dark cavern and underpowered base :D