Books you have to read!

Talk about life, the universe and everything.

Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:57 am

Books you have to read!

This seems like quite a literate community, so I figured a general book thread was in order! We already have a thread for sci-fi books, but discussion is fine here too. :)

Resources:
Goodreads - Goodreads is a brilliant website for keeping track of your reading. Among other things you can share reviews and book recommendations with friends, and they offer the option of setting a reading-goal each year. If you're doing a reading challenge this year, post it here! It's never too late to start! If you just want more friends, throw a link to your account here and I'll make a list of them!

LibraryThing - More of a book cataloguing site than a social site, but easier to input books to if you have a lot you've read in the past.

Book of the Month
I'm always up for posting a recommendation each month! Throw any suggestions out in the thread for the first month!

Users
User : 2013 Goal
Nettle - 75 books

Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:58 am

Re: Books you have to read!

Oh interesting. Will thorw up an account when i have a moment tomorrow.
Burn with me

Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:35 pm

In order from 'light' to 'heavy' stuff:

Sword of truth series (a dozen 800 page volumes, so be prepared :P)

Deamon by Daniel Suarez
Ctrl Alt Del (follow up on Deamon)

And something 'deeper':
The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle

Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:02 pm

My mum' on strong painkillers that give her intrusive thoughts, she read The Power of Now a while back and it changed her whole mentality, a good book.

Friend is also bugging me to read Daemon, so I guess that's what I'll be reading once I've finished A Suitable Boy. :)

Post Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:58 am

On second thought, DO NOT read Deamon, it will make you completely paranoid about anything remotely related to technology with network connectivity.

I can't stop cleaning out histories, logs, and disabling all my tech to keep any logs.

Post Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:09 am

I don't read very much non-sci-fi to be honest, :lol:

the last few non-sci-fi books I read were Perdido Street Station and The Scar, both by China Meiville.

Post Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:22 pm

AvatarIII wrote:I don't read very much non-sci-fi to be honest, :lol:

the last few non-sci-fi books I read were Perdido Street Station and The Scar, both by China Meiville.

That's why I'm challenging myself to read other things! Broaden my horizons!

Post Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:45 pm

Nettle wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:I don't read very much non-sci-fi to be honest, :lol:

That's why I'm challenging myself to read other things! Broaden my horizons!

Sci-fi itself already has incredible variety, due to it's limitless potential, many genres, I find, can be made better with a splash of sci-fi.

Anyway, good luck with your 75 books a year. I think for me 30 books in a year would be more than enough :lol:

Post Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:12 pm

AvatarIII wrote:Anyway, good luck with your 75 books a year. I think for me 30 books in a year would be more than enough :lol:

Heh, I'm up to 22, +3 ahead of schedule, kinda steamrolled some short ones, Death of Grass, Canticle for Lebiowiz and such, and now I'm reading a book that's only slightly longer than War and Peace...

I'm a stay-at-home-carer for my mum though, so I have rather a lot of time on my hands... All goals are good, you should just pick something that's achievable for you!

Yeah, you do get a lot of variety, but at the same time, I've read some brilliant books due to this, I'm not discounting it entirely, I just finished House of Suns, but you shouldn't stop yourself from reading something just because it's not sci-fi! I'd been doing this unconsciously for years.

Of Human Bondage, written in 1915, has to be my favourite book of the year so far, a total surprise and something I wouldn't have even looked at otherwise.

Post Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:13 pm

My problem is that I have no spare time, I am full time employed and a part time student, and a gamer, and the rest of the time a fiancé ;) , I really only have time to read on tea breaks at work, and sometimes before bed if I'm not completely exhausted from everything else :D

I'll be honest though 30 books would be very heard to read in a year, 20 would be much more reasonable, if I am only reading at breaks at work I probably only read about 100 pages per week, and I feel like that's enough, fast enough that I can get through books at a reasonable pace, slow enough that I can savour a book.
Next

Return to Off topic