Game crashing shortly after launch

Ask for help with running the game.
SimoRoth
Site Admin

Re: Game crashing shortly after launch

Post by SimoRoth » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:19 pm

I advice you to change your game behavior so that any game settings are inside users documents folder as it isn't protected this way. But this would also mean that you have to made necessary mechanizm which would copy/create files needed for ingame settings inside the users My Documents folder the first time the game is run.
Barring taking screen shots the game is read only. I think that maybe our sound middleware is opening it's files in a non-read only fashion... as that is what is crashing the game. I will see if that is the case.

SilverWarior

Post by SilverWarior » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:37 pm

Belsameth wrote:The desktop isn't protected by UAC, as its user space, but otherwise you could be very much on to something...
True! My mistake.
But as far asI know programs started from destop are still subjected to DEP scanning. This could sometimes lead to program freezing. I have seen several other Indie games which had such problems.
But yeah the main problem is usually Windows UAC.

SilverWarior

Post by SilverWarior » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:41 pm

SimoRoth wrote:Barring taking screen shots the game is read only. I think that maybe our sound middleware is opening it's files in a non-read only fashion... as that is what is crashing the game. I will see if that is the case.
I advise you to use Process Monitor for this as it can show you what acces rights does program requests when oppening file. You could even see when some program tries to open some file bit it can't find it.
Do note that since by default it monitores all running processes the shear amount of information that it will ouput can be quite large. So use filter settings to lover the amount of information.
You can get the mentioned program here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96645.aspx