GUI

Discussion of Maia's on going development, including modding.
SimoRoth
Site Admin

GUI

Post by SimoRoth » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:56 pm

Oh yes. The new glitchy minimalist GUI is going in.

Here is the 3 core buttons. Interaction mode, room placement mode and build mode.

Those link to the h-j-k keyboard shortcuts, so the game will need a lot less fumbling between modes now. :)
Gui.jpg

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Re: GUI

Post by SimoRoth » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:50 am

Ok these three are now hooked up and have nice mouseover effects and things.

3.50 am on Sunday morning. Sleep time!
Gui2.jpg

irishbucsfan

Post by irishbucsfan » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:49 am

Maia with a GUI does not feel like Maia at all!

hydra

Post by hydra » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:59 pm

I think this is awsome! I hope that the GUI also has a sub with rooms and buildable things.

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:06 pm

hydra wrote:I think this is awsome! I hope that the GUI also has a sub with rooms and buildable things.
Yeah it will have one for rooms at some point. For build able things, that's a bit harder since objects are context sensitive for each room and the type of room is chosen by those you mouse over. In that regard, flicking through the list with some keys makes more sense.

UsF

Post by UsF » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:42 am

Would it be possible to make flicking through objects of a room with the mouse wheel? I guess it would disable zooming in and out with the wheel if you place objects, but maybe it would be comfortable to use that way? Could potentially also be done with the different room types when in room building mode. Zooming in and out could have additional keyboard keys to make that work.

Klax

Post by Klax » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:19 am

Messed around in 0.35 for a while with absolutely no crashes so far, very pleasing!

PlasmaDavid

Post by PlasmaDavid » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:34 am

I haven't played alpha yet, but from that screenshot I REALLY like the direction the UI has.

The perfect blend of boxy-green-monitor-text and smooth videogame interface.
Send in more planes!

lnomsim

Post by lnomsim » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:08 pm

I don't know if it will be planned for future version (where can I find that kind of information?)

But could it be possible to rotate the objects?
If it's already possible, I didn't find how to do it.

I also wanted to know if it could be possible to have a specific menu monitoring the colonist?
And lastly, could the IA prioritize the construction of vital objects?

Yes, I know I ask much even though I just started playing an early access game, but it like that because you need feedback, right?

Finnboghi

Post by Finnboghi » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:55 pm

SimoRoth wrote:
hydra wrote:I think this is awsome! I hope that the GUI also has a sub with rooms and buildable things.
Yeah it will have one for rooms at some point. For build able things, that's a bit harder since objects are context sensitive for each room and the type of room is chosen by those you mouse over. In that regard, flicking through the list with some keys makes more sense.
I know it's been eons since you originally posted this, but have you considered a Prison Architect-like approach? Not with all items being available at any time, but how they highlight items based on the rooms you can see on-screen.

For example, if I've got a store room and a workshop on screen, the 'build items' menu would contain lights, glowsticks, atmosphere generators, crates, drill presses, etc., but not things like solar stills, beds, wind turbines, etc.

Just a thought, as I very much prefer a mouse-navigable UI or pure key-based (a la Dwarf Fortress), rather than a key-based scroll.