The Maia Tier Name Game

Talk about life, the universe and everything.
mcbain23

The Maia Tier Name Game

Post by mcbain23 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:05 am

Hi All,

If, like me, you totally loved the Tier names on the Maia Kickstarter page, then this is for you.

I've put together a wee quiz, why not give it a go.

Scores are out of 18, and as you'll see even I haven't been able to get them all.. I'll leave that to SimoRoth himself :)

We don't have the "spoiler" tag working yet so i'll post the list first, then in the following post i'll put the answers in - good luck, and don't let Google tempt you!

Cheers
McB
ps I would recommend reading, watching or playing any of these that you haven't already!

The Maia Tier Name Game

Can you get them all?

1) I.M.P.
2) Huey, Dewie, Lewie
3) Daneel Olivaw
4) Polokov
5) Ash
6) Rachel Rosen
7) GLaDOS
8) AL-76
9) Hal 9000
10) SHODAN
11) Helios
12) Bomb #20
13) Marvin
14) Preston
15) Deep Thought
16) StarGlider
17) Multivac
18) MULTIPASS

mcbain23

Re: The Maia Tier Name Game

Post by mcbain23 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:06 am

The Maia Tier Name Game - Answers

1) I.M.P.
Easy one to start.. the IMP bot features in Maia itself.

2) Huey, Dewie, Lewie
The Three Bi-pedal Maintenance Drones from John Carpenter's film "Silent Running"

3) Daneel Olivaw
Robot of Isaac Asimov's creation, featuring in many of his works including the seminal "Foundation" series.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Daneel_Olivaw

4) Polokov
Max Polokov is a Nexus-6 Android featuring in the book "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Philip K. Dick.
The interwebs tells me that in Ridley Scott's much-loved film adaptation, "Blade Runner", Max equates to Leon Kennedy.

5) Ash
(undercover) Android Science Office on board the Nostromo, from Ridley Scott's "Alien" film.

6) Rachel(/Rachael) Rosen
Tyrell Corporation Nexus-6 Android from PKD's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" novel / Ridley Scott's "Blade Runner" film.

7) GLaDOS
Psychotic-yet-hilarious Aperture Science Test Controller Robot featuring in Valve's "Portal" series of videogames.

8) AL-76
Main character in Isaac Asimov's "Robot AL-76 Goes Astray" short story from 1942.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_AL-76_Goes_Astray

9) Hal 9000
Deadpan psychotic AI aboard the Discovery One Spacecraft in Arthur C. Clarke's book "2001".

10) SHODAN
Psychotic-yet-awesome AI featured in "System Shock 2", a videogame by Looking Glass Studios.

11) Helios
All-powerful AI from "Deus Ex", Ion Storm's iconic videogame.

12) Bomb #20
Suicidal planet-buster deployed (or not) by the "Dark Star" spaceship, in John Carpenter's classic sci-fi film of the same name.

13) Marvin
Marvin is the permanently depressed Paranoid Android from Douglas Adam's "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

14) Preston
??

15) Deep Thought
"Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"'s end-game Supercomputer, giving us all the beauty of "42", as created by Douglas Adams.

16) StarGlider
80s classic Sci-Fi videogame, developed by Jez San and the Argonaut Software team.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starglider

17) Multivac
Supercomputer featuring in a number of stories by Master Sci-fi author Isaac Asimov.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multivac

18) MULTIPASS
?? Don't tell me this is about Lee-Loo Dallas ??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jWGbvemTag

Hope you enjoyed the quiz, and well done SimoRoth for picking some great Tier names sir!

Emjay

Post by Emjay » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:35 pm

My guess on Preston is the robot dog from Wallace and Grommit.

You know im right... right?

Belsameth

Post by Belsameth » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:01 am

Multipass is indeed from the 5th element and not an AI.
I suggested it for a tier title since it involves travel and I didn't know all others were AI :)

Meneth

Post by Meneth » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:08 am

Simon said at some point that the Starglider referenced isn't the game, but some robot or some such from some book:
"The red herring was StarGlider. Which people thought was the game, but is actually an AI ship from "The Fountains of Paradise"."

PlasmaDavid

Post by PlasmaDavid » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:42 pm

Poor old Multivac :( There's one short story where it engineers an unlikely series of events in an effort to kill itself because it has to deal with every single problem humanity has.
Send in more planes!

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:54 pm

Emjay wrote:My guess on Preston is the robot dog from Wallace and Grommit.

You know im right... right?
Correct!

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:55 pm

Meneth wrote:Simon said at some point that the Starglider referenced isn't the game, but some robot or some such from some book:
"The red herring was StarGlider. Which people thought was the game, but is actually an AI ship from "The Fountains of Paradise"."
This