Maia surface suit.

Discussion of Maia's on going development, including modding.
SimoRoth
Site Admin

Maia surface suit.

Post by SimoRoth » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:44 pm

Kris has been working from the concept art to visualise my ideas for the Maia surface suit. He's done a rather good job of it. :)
SpaceSuit01.JPG
SpaceSuit01.JPG (165.44 KiB) Viewed 3950 times

Belsameth

Re: Maia surface suit.

Post by Belsameth » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:46 pm

v nice! He seems quite capable. Looking forward to seeing it in motion! :D

Livinghippo

Post by Livinghippo » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:40 pm

Nice, is he going for a retro divers look ?
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1&hl= ... ,s:0,i:193
or
A more futuristic sci-fi space look?

flamescorpion

Post by flamescorpion » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:48 pm

looks awesome,

strong enough to survive a hostile atmosphere but still soft enough to get torn to shreds by any mishaps or predators in the vicinity :D

Evence

Post by Evence » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:06 am

Very nice, cant wait to see the final version of it. :mrgreen:

DerRidda

Post by DerRidda » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:22 am

It's aesthetically pleasing but I think the entire design neglects the established facts of the world of Maia.

The thickness makes it look like an actual pressurized space suit, like we have for astronauts today, but in that regard the neck part is a bit strange.
It's not "connected" to the rest of the suit and it looks like the actual suit just opens up exposing the neck that seems unpressurized which you wouldn't do.
There is a reason actual space suits connect straight to the helmet, as there is an atmosphere of about 1/3 the pressure of earths atmosphere maintained to keep you from "blowing" up
in the vacuum of space. And if you say that the neck is pressurized as well, why is the rest of the suit not as thin? The gloves also seem kinda thin. And what about the bomb suit like neck shield? That makes no sense.

But the biggest problem is: Why have a huge ass space suit to begin with? As is already established, Maia has a decent pressure atmosphere that is simply toxic to earthlings, there is no reason to have anything but a setup
that keeps the actual atmosphere away from the person inside. And that's what we have in the form of gas tight Hazmat suits, which would be used because of the tremendous mobility and dexterity benefit over a fully pressurized space suit.

I don't suggest to dump the design but I would move away from the pressurized space suit even more than you did with the neck and open up the joints more, tighten the entire thing a little, keep the nice thin gloves, give the poor sod some proper boots and then there would be a proper, sensible Sci-Fi heavy duty Hazmat suit instead of an unnecessary space suit that wouldn't even work properly.

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:38 am

The design is that the suit is multipurpose or is a space suit modified for surface walking. It's not supposed to look like it perfectly "fits" with its purpose, but is an awkward compromise for several uses.

The thick padding and high collar is for blast protection and armour against critters. (they are mining after all) And the Neck allows the use of a rifle or complex manual tasks.

SimoRoth
Site Admin

Post by SimoRoth » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:39 am

randommonicle

Post by randommonicle » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:08 pm

I like it, especially the ribbing. However i feel that the faceplate could do with being a bit more circular.
Burn with me

Caldorion

Post by Caldorion » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:31 pm

What's with pockets to store the shiny rocks the colonist just want to collect?