Alpha Centauri & Civ: Beyond Earth

Talk about other games
Eigengrau

Alpha Centauri & Civ: Beyond Earth

Post by Eigengrau » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:28 pm

Seems people are sharing a lot of space sims, surprised no one mentioned Alpha Centauri, this game undoubtedly influenced so many space sims afterwards. While the graphics are extremely dated they do a good job at drawing you into this dark alien landscape, the controls and menus are fairly advanced but a lot of actions can be automated and it is an easy game to approach and start playing.

One thing I found notable about the game was it's diplomacy system which I just absolutely love, rather than just random issues being dealt with one at a time every 15 minutes or so, you will often have the AI contacting you and dealing with a variety of issues in just one call, such as trading technology, I liked the fact that rather than be forced to reject or accept their offer, you could instead opt to give them a different technology or receive a different technology in exchange for something. The AI and diplomacy in the game is just so rich and really brings the game to life compared to say Civ 4 or 5.

The technology tree is also pretty vast and allows you a variety of pathways in how you wish to develop in the game, every game is fairly customisable and makes for good replayability.

I'm really looking forward to Civ: Beyond Earth which is essentially an up to date Alpha Centauri using a modified Civ 5 engine, the footage looks promising and while I'm unsure it will beat the classic I think it will make for a very entertaining and immersive space sim. Beyond Earth is planned for release the third quarter of this year.
Eigengrau - 16161d.bandcamp.com
[steamcommunity.com/id/zoahk]

splette

Re: Alpha Centauri & Civ: Beyond Earth

Post by splette » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:50 pm

I really liked Alpha Centaury. I just realize it's about 15 years ago when it came out, wow. Besides the game itself, I loved the graphics style and atmosphere a lot.

Unfortunately, I am not so optimistic about Civ: Beyond Earth but let's see.

017hnoor

Re: Alpha Centauri & Civ: Beyond Earth

Post by 017hnoor » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:42 am

I just absolutely love, rather than just random issues being dealt with one at a time every 15 minutes or so, you will often have the AI contacting you and dealing with a variety of issues in just one call,